Thinking of Changing Mach460 Speakers.

Rotzs99

All SHOW no GO
Mar 16, 2006
So i think my drivers side small speaker is busted so im thinking of doing the whole system.

I have a vert so I think the sizes are as this.
2 of 2.5" round (top of door)
2 of 6 X 8 (Bottom of door)
2 of 5 1/2" (Lower Back Seat)
2 of 4 X 6 (Upper Back Seat)

Anyone back that up?

I think I will replace all of the speakers if i do anything. What would be a good brand to go with. Rockford Fosgate? Pioneer? By the way i have a sony Xplod headunit.

Last question: I thought i overheard someone at Best Buy say they install the speakers without cutting wires, True? And if so how?

If anyone with some A/V experience could help me, please let me know.

#Rotz#

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
If you are still using the Mach 460 head unit, I don't know that changing out the speakers would make a difference in sound at all. I remember I had a Honda Accord with a Sony deck and factory speakers. I swapped out all the factory speakers for Baupunkts $$$ that had subwoofer coils and all this other jazz $$$.... it sounded EXACTLY the same.

Just change out the whole system ... or just replace the one speaker .. and if you want it to sound a LOT better you just need some subs.

cobravenom39

GTL>FLA
Mar 1, 2004
ChicagoMike said:
Just change out the whole system ... or just replace the one speaker .. and if you want it to sound a LOT better you just need some subs.

Mike's right, just fix the one speaker or replace EVERYTHING. I have a complete system in mine w/Boston Acoustic components, JL Subs, and an Alpine DVD head unit. I would only recommend Boston Acoustic components. Ask ChicagoMike how my system sounds.

Rotzs99

All SHOW no GO
Mar 16, 2006
I dont know about going that far. I just want the system to sound clear if i crank it up, and not have to worry about blowing the speakers. If i went with a sub i think i would get the JL Audio stealthbox. But id rather make it go fast first.

Hey Slash, are the sizes i mentioned right?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Boston Acoustics are awesome speakers but Focal and MB Quart are even better.

Rotz-replace your head unit and see if that is enough to make you happy. You can buy harnesses that let you tie aftermarket head units into the Mach 460 amp/speaker system. If you want to replace the speakers, you also will have to replace the amps. The Mach 460 system is difficult to change out one piece at a time.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Rotzs99 said:
I already have an Xplod Headunit, It was in the car when i bought it. Do i really have to change the amps??? That would SUCK. What about Rockford Fosgate? Not good?

I actually have had a couple sets of Rockford Fosgate speakers over the years. They are OK. Decent but not as good as B.A., Focal, or MB Quart. You get what you pay for with speakers. A decent set of separates goes for between $300 and $1,000 new. You'll need one set for the front and a fill set for the rear. The fronts should be the better of the two sets.

The Ford amps/speakers are 6 Ohm rather than the standard 4 Ohm. They are also crossed over at non standard frequencies. I don't know what Ford was thinking when they designed the Mach systems.

As far as your Xplod H/U, Sony is middle of the road or a little better. If you bought an Alpine or Pioneer H/U instead, you would notice an immediate difference. Alpine H/Us are best in my opinion. I've never had a bad one. You can add a sub to get some more bass and improve your system. After that you really need to do the amps and mids/tweeter speakers together. I'm at that point. My H/U and subwoofer are great but I'm still using the stock speakers and amps along with another amp for the sub. Eventually I will yank the stock stuff out and go with one of the brands I suggested.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Rotzs99 said:
Man that sounds complicated, i was hoping just to switch the speakers. Where are the factory amps?

There is one amp incorporated into the stock H/U. There are two more behind the rear seats under the package tray [in the coupe]. I'm not positive where the convertible amps are. Probably in one of the side panels somewhere.

The Mach 460 is THE MOST DIFFICULT SYSTEM I'VE EVER MODIFIED. Ford sucks. :rolleyes:

NOTE- The amp adapter plug for adding an aftermarket head unit varies depending on year. I ordered a Metra 70-5521 for my car and it doesn't fit. GRRR. Tech support at Metra says the 70-5521 will fit '04s but not all '03s. I need the 70-5519. Why the hell did Ford switch the plug for '04? I guess the Mach 460 just wasn't complicated enough so they made it harder to modify. :rolleyes:

If anyone has an '04 and wants the 70-5521 adapter plug, I'll sell it for $20. It cost me $24 shipped. Brand new. Never used. Grrr. :D

02mingreyconv

Regular
Jan 31, 2005
Rotzs99 said:
So i think my drivers side small speaker is busted so im thinking of doing the whole system.

I have a vert so I think the sizes are as this.
2 of 2.5" round (top of door)
2 of 6 X 8 (Bottom of door)
2 of 5 1/2" (Lower Back Seat)
2 of 4 X 6 (Upper Back Seat)

Anyone back that up?

I think I will replace all of the speakers if i do anything. What would be a good brand to go with. Rockford Fosgate? Pioneer? By the way i have a sony Xplod headunit.

Last question: I thought i overheard someone at Best Buy say they install the speakers without cutting wires, True? And if so how?

If anyone with some A/V experience could help me, please let me know.

#Rotz#

I rewired my whole system, but I left the stock speakers in until I got the speakers I wanted. It sounds good at low volume right now but it is terrible when you crank it up. So the 460 system has to go completely, and new speakers are sitting in the garage as we speak. I am just waiting for the amps to arrive so that I can install it.

The sizes you mentioned are not the right ones. I do not recall the size of the tweeters (might be 2.5 as you mentioned) but both the front door speakers and rear side speakers are 5x7. The rear top speakers that you refer to are the same tweeters as up front (I think).. anyway, I got 2 sets of component speakers and I am going to ditch the 460 system.

The 460 system is ok, add the mach1000 subs and it is even bordering on good... but nothing compared to a good aftermarket system.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info