Honda Motorcycle 1975 CB500T

Hey! Been a while since I threw up a thread on here. Progress is slowly coming with the Impala and pictures will be up shortly of that.

But the topic of this thread is as the title says; I am working with my dad on his 1975 Honda CB500T Motorcycle. The ultimate goal is to get me learning on it so I can get my license upgraded again. (Just got my class B non CDL).

My dad had it all apart for a while and for what reason I'm not quite sure, but it's back together.

The problem we had before and still do now is the idle hangs. When you let off the throttle it will just race and very gradually (if at all) come back down to idle. It is NOT a sticking throttle cable or the sort, I can clearly see both throttle plates snap back down where they belong. The bike is in good to great condition otherwise. I have heard it could be a sticking timing advance, but that moves smooth as glass. Perhaps the springs inside are worn out and simply weak from age?

If you have any info regarding a hanging idle let me know, and if you have any other information regarding the bike I would also appreciate it. I found that DGY in Downers Grove can get me a handful of odds and ends parts we need for it. Ironic I move away from DG and I still use them for parts. If you know of a better place or closer to Millbrook, IL (Plano) let me know too!

Thanks much in advance!

Okay well my dad just came home and he reset the timing where he had it set pre-teardown, and it runs a LITTLE better. The thing now it will be sitting there idling smooth and out of nowhere it will race itself up. It also pops through the carbs (backfiring) when you give it any 'load' and by that I mean a large crack of the throttle. Have not tried driving it yet.

Next time I take a look which will probably be tomorrow I will nose around all the rubber stuff around the carbs and see what's what. Yes it has one carb for each cylinder. The driveline is as far as I gather completely stock, engine to tire.

By the way thanks for the replies already guys. :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• G
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list