I need a A/V home Theater dork

The Pun

OG CSVT Guy
TCG Premium
Apr 12, 2004
I got to hook up my TV, surround sound, amp, DVR, CD, and DVD player. Anybody knowthing about this shit, I fuggin hate all these cables.

I will pay you or buy you food and drink if you come over and tell me what to do or better yet do it for me. I got a bunch of cheapo cables but I am willing to buy good stuff if it is not too spensive.

Stuff I got and need to hook it all up:
Mitsubishi WS-65713 Platinum 65 in. HDTV Television
http://www.shopping.com/xPF-Mitsubishi_WS_65713

Yamaha HTR 5850 6.1 channel Receiver:
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/HTIB/HTR5850.htm

Cerwin Vega LW-15 15" powered sub:
http://www.cerwinvega.com/products/homeaudiovideo/lwseries/lw15.html

Sony 5.1 speakers F left/right, F center, R left/right

Motorola Comcast Two tuner HDTV DVR:
http://broadband.motorola.com/dvr/dct6412.asp

Other stuff:
Sony 6 disc changer
Sony DVD player
Sony PS2
Wireless and cable modem

The Pun

OG CSVT Guy
TCG Premium
Apr 12, 2004
Nice - what you guys up to this weekend?

If I buy booze, pizza, and give ya back rubs wanta come over and have a hook up party (LOL - I crack myself up). I got a $100 gift card for Best Buy to get some cables.

I am not doing shit either day.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
You can do it, Jeff. Take it piece by piece and it isn't that bad. The worst part will probably be running wires for the speakers. Do you have a basement or attic handy to run them in? If so, you can go into the wall, down or up, and across to the wall under/over where each speaker will be. After you have the speakers mounted and wired, you can decide whether you want the components wired in parallel, series, or both. First comes your satellite/cable box, then probably DVR, DVD, receiver, etc. ending with the TV. Your instructions should show you various ways of hooking the components up. Really expensive cables aren't necessary in my opinion unless you are a total audio/videophile. Mid grade cables work just fine.

You have some nice stuff. Should be a great home theater package when you get it set up.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Oops, I guess I should read the posts following yours before answering... With Carl and Larry, it should be a piece of cake. If I can drive, maybe I'll swing by and supervise or give one handed help. :D

Edit- Get your game plan ready before you do anything. Figure out where each speaker is going to go and how you can wire to it. Get plenty of speaker wire and enough cables as well as wall boxes to cover holes in the wall.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
10th03cobra said:
Cliff, itz an apartment so no running wire through walls. I am in Lombard now.

If you wanta stop by drop me a line and I will order some pizzas.

Thanks Carl and Larry...

Do you just run them along the bottom of the walls or what? I forgot you were in an apartment. I guess they could be stapled to the wall or taped and then painted the same color as the wall? Any pics of where the tv is going and the shape of the room?

Let me know when you guys are getting together and I will try to make it.

The Pun

OG CSVT Guy
TCG Premium
Apr 12, 2004
I am just gonna sit the side speakers on the end tables and put the front and center on top of the TV. I just need help with all the RCA/speaker/Optical/HDMI/svideo and all that other shit.

The TV is going on the wall in the living room with the back to the bedroom. Couch will be on the other wall and the seat will be in front of the breakfast bar.

Just drop me a line if you guys wanta swing by.

Attachments

• apartment.jpg
    apartment.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 69

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
10th03cobra said:
I am just gonna sit the side speakers on the end tables and put the front and center on top of the TV. I just need help with all the RCA/speaker/Optical/HDMI/svideo and all that other shit.

The TV is going on the wall in the living room with the back to the bedroom. Couch will be on the other wall and the seat will be in front of the breakfast bar.

Just drop me a line if you guys wanta swing by.

Tough room to work with. Could you move into a place that has a square or rectangular room?

You know, they do sell wireless speakers that would be awesome for your set up. :D

The Pun

OG CSVT Guy
TCG Premium
Apr 12, 2004
Flyn high again said:
Tough room to work with. Could you move into a place that has a square or rectangular room?

You know, they do sell wireless speakers that would be awesome for your set up. :D

I am only here until Nov, Michelle just bought a townhouse in Bloomingdale. I already got the speakers so i am sticking with them.

Once I get a house I am gonna build a theater room. :headbang:

ILLINI-SVT

Member at Large
Mar 4, 2004
Hey, I love doing that stuff, and have been itching to get out of the apartment. When are you going to do it? Maybe you wouldn't mind if I brought a half rack over and we can see how far we get on the hookup.

My (roommate's) current setup:

Denon 3801 receiver
B&W 605 S2 floorspeakers
B&W 600 series center channel & rear speakers

To be added on Sunday - either the Velodyne DD 10 or the B&W 750 subwoofer. BAM!

Of course, they're hooked into the Dolby Digital optical feeds from the HD feed.

The Pun

OG CSVT Guy
TCG Premium
Apr 12, 2004
Fuck - I went Best Buy and bought a HDMI cable and I needed a HDMI to DVI or some shit. I also bought some optical cables and bannana plugs for the speaker wire.

If anybody wants to stop by tomorrow after noon I am right by Yorktown mall and will be messing with the shit then. Hopefully I won't get pissed and throw the 65"er off the balcony.

Now you guys see why I don't work on my car, I get angry very quickly.

I need a drink now. :alcoholic

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info