gear change

Fast99Snake

track rat
Jun 26, 2005
Im doing the irs swap tommorow and I have the stock 3.27 gear in there and it is programmed into the ecu.
The irs is coming with a 3.55 gear, how can i change the gear ratio in the ecu without buying a handheld tuner like a diablo, etc.
wud my autos teacher at school be able to program the speedo for the different gear, or is there no way to get this reprogrammed without the tuner.
cud i take it to ford and have them reprogram it??

Fast99Snake

track rat
Jun 26, 2005
i can't afford to buy one of the tuners at the moment so thats y i have to find an alternative
i think they shud be able to do it at ford tho now that i think about it
the dealership is rite by my house so ill go ask em to do it before i rip out the rear tommorow so she will be set to get when i get the irs in

Wharf Rat

The other Hank
Mar 1, 2004
cyac5l8trfcar said:
ford can reprogram ecu's for factory gear ratios. it's gonna cost you about 1 labor hour. close to $100.

Some of the Fords they can, others they can't. Mustangs happen to be one of the Fords that the dealer CAN'T reprogram the ECU for gears.

The product you need is called a Speedcal. You get it from Brother's Performance for $80-100. It is a plug in black box. Is a piece of cake to install- takes about 2 beers.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Dallas Mustang has the instructions on their site. I saved $20 by ordering mine from Brother's but wish I'd ordered it from Dallas instead. When I had programming questions, Brothers told me to go to Dallas' site. :rolleyes:

Basically, you have to hook up to a power source and then plug the SpeedCal into the trans. There are switches that you set to match your combo and the unit then corrects the speedo. My Speedcal is wedged in ahead of my shifter under the center console. Works well. I've checked it and the speed is dead on.

Wharf Rat

The other Hank
Mar 1, 2004
Fast99Snake said:
im also looking into bigger rims in spring so ill have to change it again

The speedcal is adjustable so if you swap gears again you just change the settings on the unit.

Also, your car doesn't care or know what size rims you have. The tire height will change your speedo not the rim size. A 25.7 inch tire on a 15 inch rim is the same as a 25.7 inch tire on a 22 inch rim.

Doug02GT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
May 22, 2004
Fast99Snake said:
ok well if i have to spend money on this then shud i just get the diablosport thing
that will be able to change my gear ratio rite
im also looking into bigger rims in spring so ill have to change it again

ugh y cant money just appear in my wallet

I just did a gear change and tried to fix the gear ratio and the Diablo shit out on me halfway through the transfer. Monday the car goes into Ford. $100 for them to reprogram the computer. If it is wasted, $500 for a new computer. They say this is super rare....

Wharf Rat

The other Hank
Mar 1, 2004
Wharf Rat said:
Some of the Fords they can, others they can't. Mustangs happen to be one of the Fords that the dealer CAN'T reprogram the ECU for gears.

The product you need is called a Speedcal. You get it from Brother's Performance for $80-100. It is a plug in black box. Is a piece of cake to install- takes about 2 beers.

I'm assuming you went from 3.27 to 3.73 or 4.10? Your speedo will read FASTER than you are going and you will be racking up more miles than you actually drove. The above post is the easy fix.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info