Oil Pressure Gauge

C

cmacsvt

Ok guys I need your help. I know I haven't really posted here at all, but I am on here daily checkin out the site at work. I have a problem with my 2001 Cobra. When the engine is cold my oil pressure gauge goes crazy. It is ok when i first start the car but after driving a block or two the gauge just drops to zero. If I leave the car running it stays at zero for a minute or two the sparatically jumps between zero and normal for a few minutes. It doesn't go slowly, it is either in the normal range or at zero, never in the middle of the two. After maybe like four or five minutes from when it first went to zero it will go to normal and stay there. I have checked my oil over and over again and it does seem like i am burning a little but everytime I have checked it has been in the normal range on the dipstick (I have added maybe like a quart and a half in the last month). I dont really know what could be causing the problem, so any help would be extremely appreciated. In cause this helps my only mods that could have anything to do with the engine are a K&N filter, MAC pro-chamber, and straight pipes out the back (no mufflers).

Thanks Guys
Chris :burnout:

boo

Regular
Jul 12, 2005
The oil pressure meters in our car are a fancy idiot light. Its either in one part of the guage or 0. It doesn't read in between. Its either an electrical problem or it really is telling you you've got no oil pressure.

Have it towed to a mod friendly dealership, sutton's and maybe victor ford in wauconda.

Don't drive it until you figure it out, you may sieze it.

C

cmacsvt

frdtch05gt said:
Most likely a faulty sender unit. My Ranger did that twice, gauge flickered like crazy for a few minutes after highway driving. Replaced the sender switch and the problem went away for a while.

I used the trick with the odometer that will let you check what codes the car is throwing. It says that I am throwing a code for "oil pressure switch failure" code dtc5284. How do i fix this?

Chris :burnout:

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Remove the oil pressure sending unit from the block and attach a mechanical oil pressure gauge. Those are more accurate than the buzzard factory gauges.

If the pressure is still reading low or at zero, either your oil pump is bad or your bearings are done, which you might as well install a fresh short block.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info