electrical issue.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
so my car has been driving my nuts lately. i hate electric stuff.

after about 20-30 minutes of driving my headlights will start to dim and then go back to normal and then dimming, etc. doesnt seem to be effected by rpms at all. my battery light also goes on during this but stays on pretty much constant regardless if the headlights are bright or dim.

so far this is what i've done:
had alt. and battery tested at autozone while on car. car had 57amps at 2000rpms. battery was at 14 volts at idle.

checked and cleaned all grounds. there were 2 that were iffy and i re-located them. one was from the battery to the engine and the other was the chassis to the engine. no change.

i'm thinking its the regulator in the alternator but was wondering what you guys think; especially because a new alt. is $150

thanks,
joel

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
eh theirs not much under the hood of this one either. i'm going to go swap the optima from the GTP into the crx and see if it acts any differently tonight.

if thats not the case i'm just going to buy an alternator and hopefully be done with it. i'm pretty certain its the alt. but i figure i may as well try the battery first cause its free.

James

TCG Elite Member
Jan 18, 2008
What? The CRX is a classic!
(I've owned almost every color.)

Anyway....yeah, alternator sounds shot.
Take a multimeter and test the battery, should be:
12 volts car off.
14 volts car on.
14 volts car on and headlights on.

I agree with everyone else....I bet the third check is what you're failing = regulator.

88-91 Civic/CRX alternators are pretty stout...you could always hit up a pick and pull, there's plenty of'em there and they're all identical.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info