Trailblazer engine tick

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
Fuck. Me.

Just bought an 02 Trailblazer LS. At idle, it sounds like a diesel engine. From my other thread, the tech2 was thrown on the car and no codes where in the computer. I didn't notice this tick until I was home. Some stuff online says its normal. Others say there's something wrong.

Please give me some good news.

I tried uploading a video but my phone is being uncooperative.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
there's a tsb about the electronic fan clutch engagement
GM TSB #05-06-02-004 - Needs a PCM calibration update (reflash). The source of the noise is the fan clutch.

Some customers may comment on an underhood tick noise heard while the vehicle is idling. Technicians may find that the noise does not increase or decrease with changes in the engine idle RPM. The tick noise occurs at approximately one second intervals.

Cause: This condition may be caused by the electro-viscous fan clutch control function of the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) attempting to keep the fan speed between 300-600 revolutions per minute (RPM). At idle, the cooling fan speed will drag to approximately 500 RPM then oscillate between 300 and 600 RPM. When the fan speed drops below 500 RPM, the PCM will pulse the fan control solenoid. The pulsing of the solenoid is the cause of the ticking noise.

Technicians are to verify that the cooling fan clutch is the source of the noise by using either one of the following two methods:

-Use a Tech2 to command the cooling fan off. If the ticking noise goes away, the pulsing of the cooling fan clutch is the source of the noise.

-The cooling fan clutch electrical connector, located on the cooling fan shroud, may be disconnected with the engine off. If the ticking noise goes away, the pulsing of the cooling fan clutch is the source of the noise. Be sure to clear any (DTCs) that may have set while the cooling fan clutch is disconnected.

so, unplug fan solenoid and see if the noise goes away :jg:

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
Okay, first things first. Where exactly does the sound seem to be coming from? Top end I'll assume? Front? The Timing kit. Along the entirety of the Head? Most likely Lifter tick. From near the Intake Mani? Injectors.

If you can find one cheap, go get a mechanic's stethoscope. I think Harbor Freight has them cheap. Otherwise, place the tip of a screwdriver on the suspect areas, and put the handle to your ear. Works well as a readily available 'scope. I'd need more information to be able to give you a better idea of what to look for though, so get cracking. lol.

That said, if it's from the bottom, it could be a whole bee's nest of things. But most of these will not begin to show as a tick.

Edit:

there's a tsb about the electronic fan clutch engagement

so, unplug fan solenoid and see if the noise goes away :jg:

Noice!

Wrencher

Regular
Sep 11, 2011
I have seen a few things on the early 4.2's.
the valve guides had issues on some of these, but usually crop up as other problems.
I had one I had to tear down & found a lifter galley plug in front of head pushed it's way out of it's bore.
That lost pressure up top & ticked like crazy.
Made sure all the spark plugs are tight? Seen a many weekend DIY'r throw plugs in & leave them loose. They can make noise too.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
It's more of a knocking noise with low octane, however super thin oil could make it tick like that. I would get the oil changed and see what it does. Beyond that, take that shit back and drive it through the front doors of the dealer.

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
the salesman emailed me thanking ne fir buying the car. I emailed him back what was wrong and he said he'd talk to the used car manager.

I called Chevy this morning and the first thing that he said was fan clutch relay.

I suppose it could sound more of knocking rather than a tick since it does sound like a diesel and diesels knock.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info