Optima Batteries have become total crap! So sad but true!!! Other battery options..

chris101

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2009
Mt. Prospect, IL
Real Name
yes
So I heard about Optima batteries not being as good as they used to be (that somewhere along the way they made a change for a worse).

Well, I have an Optima Battery in my 993 and have had it for 8 years now and it is still going strong.

To make a long story short, 2 years ago (when my 993 Optima was 6 years old and still going strong), I decided to ignore all the negative reviews and comments on the internet and what I had been hearing at various events from people and give another Optima a try since I've only had good experiences.

Well, I should have listened!

This Optima is now deader than dead and it is barely 2 years old. I have learned my lesson! I will heed what others say about things changing and not waste any more money on Optima. So sad that they have gone downhill like this because they used to have such a great product. I had bought my first Optima under the recommendation of several people who had such positive experiences and now it is the complete opposite!

Even a cheap regular acid battery will last more than 2 years and typically costs 2/3rds or 1/2 the price of an Optima battery depending on what you are getting!

I'll be looking into Oddessey or Braille batteries next!

chris101

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2009
Mt. Prospect, IL
Real Name
yes
It was quite the waste of money I agree.

Don't they warranty them for 3 years? I thought they did

They do indeed have a 36 month free replacement warranty and I'm going to call Optima directly on Monday after 9am (when they open again)

I have a bad feeling about getting any sort of warranty on mine though because of 2 reasons:

a) I never registered it when I got it like I guess I was supposed to
b) bought it on a group buy and had it 'drop shipped' directly from Optima so my only form of 'receipt' is the paypal receipt to the guy who organized the group buy along with the original box/shipping label from Optima

I am not too hopeful on getting warranty but it is at least worth a phone call Monday to ask!

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
Just about every car battery comes off the same assembly line from the same manufacturer. It just gets a different top and label on it. So optimas are the same as interstate etc... Just buy whatever has a good warranty and isn't crazy expensive.
My interstate that I bought 3 years ago, I can leave my car battery on for hours and it will start right up, so yeah..

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Just about every car battery comes off the same assembly line from the same manufacturer. It just gets a different top and label on it. So optimas are the same as interstate etc... Just buy whatever has a good warranty and isn't crazy expensive.
My interstate that I bought 3 years ago, I can leave my car battery on for hours and it will start right up, so yeah..

Optimas are a dry cell soooooo.......no?

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
Optimas are a dry cell soooooo.......no?

Maybe I am wrong on the construction of comparing the optima to the interstate, but the optimas are made at the same exact company, johnson controls. I do contracting work at the one in Geneva all the time and see batteries getting different tops and brand labels on the same assembly lines.
I've also heard a lot of people only getting a few years on their optima.
There are probably a lot of factors that play in how long your battery lasts. Environment, your charging system, maybe you could get a bad batch.
I would rather just buy something with a good warranty and call it a day.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock

Optimas are spiral core gel-cell batteries.... They aren't even close to what an interstate or dura last battery are with plates and acid..... The main reasons for spending the extra dough on an optima are for high vibration/ high g-force applications that damage lead plate type batteries. Also optimas are sealed and can be mounted at any angle, even upside down.

Vogz

Moist Ass Bitch
Jul 4, 2006
Batavia, IL
Optimas are spiral core gel-cell batteries.... They aren't even close to what an interstate or dura last battery are with plates and acid..... The main reasons for spending the extra dough on an optima are for high vibration/ high g-force applications that damage lead plate type batteries. Also optimas are sealed and can be mounted at any angle, even upside down.

This. I'm really bummed that Optima has gone downhill though.

chris101

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2009
Mt. Prospect, IL
Real Name
yes
I've had mine eight years

okay, and? If you look at my original post, I have 2 optima batteries, one is 2 years old and failed and the other one is 8 years old and still going strong (no problems with my 8 year old one)

My point is quality is not the same!

You should look at the date on it.

While I did look for a date, there simply isn't one ANYWHERE on this battery. I have written down all the info I can find including the serial number to give to Optima customer service when I call on Monday.

what are you guys running that even warrants an optima?

My 8 year old Optima is in my 993 (battery sits in front and not in any engine bay so I didn't want to deal with acid leaking out into the front trunk!)

The 2 year old one goes in the race car (in the cabin on the floor behind the passenger). Lots of vibration and who wants to risk lead acid spilling inside the car with you sitting next to it?

This. I'm really bummed that Optima has gone downhill though.

Same here!!!!

32vMonte

Car is broke
Dec 3, 2008
I have a red top in my northstar swapped Monte it was in the car for a year before I nought the car and it has 4 years on it now. I leave it for months without starting the car and it fires right up. It was in the car for a full year with no charging at all and when I got my motor back in I started the car with that battery haha.

My optima yellow top on the other hand only lasted maybe 2 years, I guess it was bought after the switch in quality

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
okay, and? If you look at my original post, I have 2 optima batteries, one is 2 years old and failed and the other one is 8 years old and still going strong (no problems with my 8 year old one)

My point is quality is not the same!

While I did look for a date, there simply isn't one ANYWHERE on this battery. I have written down all the info I can find including the serial number to give to Optima customer service when I call on Monday.

My 8 year old Optima is in my 993 (battery sits in front and not in any engine bay so I didn't want to deal with acid leaking out into the front trunk!)

The 2 year old one goes in the race car (in the cabin on the floor behind the passenger). Lots of vibration and who wants to risk lead acid spilling inside the car with you sitting next to it?

Same here!!!!

whats a 993?

whats your race car?

lol

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Porsche 993.. come on man expand your car knowledge ;)

Yeah I haven't heard any good things for optima for about the last 3-5 years. Seems they switched something in regards to quality. I usually get costco, sears, or walmart depending on the ratings and deals. Most last me 5 -7 years which is fine by me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info