Getting geared up cheaply....

KAR

Rip Riski
Jan 4, 2010
Elk Grove
Everyone always complains about how expensive gear is when first starting off. Well here's a great read and how to get fully geared from head to toe under 500$ with all brand new equipment.

http://www.bikebandit.com/community/blog/the-joys-of-learning-to-ride-getting-geared-up?WT.mc_id=2204021

There is also the way of looking for used gear from those that only ride for a short time and then end up selling there stuff. You can also wait for sites to have sales to get even better gear on the cheaper side. I waited and got my leather jacket and pants for under 500$

XxApollynxX

TCG Elite Member
Jun 2, 2008
Plainfield
I <3 bike bandit :) The way I look at it, is that gear and my skin/life is the only thing possibably stopping from me from death. I bought my first real nice leather jacket at the end of last season I love it, no only with the liner does it keep me warm I know its the best protection I can get.

+1 on bike bandit having THE BEST prices.

XxApollynxX

TCG Elite Member
Jun 2, 2008
Plainfield
Prevent what actual issues have you had? I've been using bike bandit for a while, both ordering online, and calling in when I didn't feel like looking at exploded diagrams to get forks seals part numbers etc. They have never given me wrong information, and have given me honest opinions on alot of their products they offer. Your one of the only people i've seen who don't like them do tell if you don't mind.

Schnitz and Tiger Racing both get my purchases as well.

Prevent

ilikemtb999 is my friend
Jun 29, 2009
I bought this visor

http://www.bikebandit.com/icon-standard-full-face-motorcycle-helmet-faceshield

Their site says it fits my helmet, but it does not.

I needed this visor

http://www.bikebandit.com/icon-proshield-full-face-motorcycle-helmet-faceshield

but says "Does not fit icon alliance"

So i bought the Standard shield because it says it fits my helmet while the proshield does not.

I wanted to return the Standard visor for the Proshield and the service rep gave me a huge hassle about how i ordered the wrong one, etc, etc. I told him well your site says it fits my helmet. He told me "no, the icon alliance rubatone helmet is not an alliance helmet" im thinking wtf is this crock of shit? Finally i got him to see that their site is wrong.

In the end i got to return it. All the hassle over a $40 item, ill take my business elsewhere. I'll support a business that doesn't try telling me the finish of a helmet is why a visor didn't fit or that an Icon Alliance Rubatone helmet isn't an Icon Alliance helmet.. *sigh*

KAR

Rip Riski
Jan 4, 2010
Elk Grove
Well that sucks to hear but I have yet to have any problems with them,yet.

So what are all the sites you use when searching for gear or other bike stuff? You already said the sportbiketrackgear, is there any others?

This way it gives all of us diversity in looking and if places are having sales on stuff.

KAR

Rip Riski
Jan 4, 2010
Elk Grove
Those video reviews are very nice to have, and off the top of my head their pricing isn't bad at all. You say how close they are so even ground shipping is probably like three or four days at most which is also a nice plus. I just might have to go order some new boots/riding shoes and new gloves very soon as they have a sale going on with trying to get rid of the last of their '11 stuff.

nick122590

TCG Elite Member
Jul 10, 2011
IOWA
S M L are relative to a unit of measurement, so if you measure correctly and read the manufactures guidelines it shouldn't be as blindly as you are suggesting Hubbard 0, But yes trying on everything is much better than not.

thats the thing the way i am im in between sizes. like 32-34 jeans. med-large shirts. its been a while since ive put a helmet on so who knows lol. even boots/shoes because i have really wide feet. i rather go someone where i can atleast get an idea on how it will fit. especially because im not going to go cheap on gear.

Prevent

ilikemtb999 is my friend
Jun 29, 2009
If you watch sportbiketrackgear videos he'll mention something about if you fit between sizes.. For my helmet i was between on the outskirt of M and he mentioned if you're between two sizes get the smaller because the padding will wear in.

Just go into a place and start trying shit on.

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
I need some gear... two helmets and two leather or synthetic riding jackets for the lady and I. Any suggestions on brand/style/ anything?

She is only like 5'3" and 110lbs :naughty: so she may actually need a kids jacket.

LMK this riding season is almost here and I want to hit the road with more than just my already-been-in-a-crash helmet (not by me and not a bad one)

KAR

Rip Riski
Jan 4, 2010
Elk Grove
I love my arai helmet but it's not a budget friendly helmet. Since owning this helmet I won't go to anything else though with its comfort, fit, and weight. They make different shapes for different snapped heads do they are a must try on to find which is the correct fit.

Rest of the gear I will be sticking to alpinestar after recently buying one of their jackets last year. They to like arai aren't budget friendly but both brands are well worth the money in my eyes.

The norm you'll tend to see is hjc helmets a joe rocket gear. That's your average brands that will get the job done but aren't the best high quality stuff.

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
I got two Z1R helmets from the website you posted. They had the size/color combo's I wanted and were on clearence for $86 for mine and $89 for the girlfriends. Mine is DOT and SNELL approved which I am happy about, I wish the other one was Snell approved also, but she wont be on the bike nearly as often as I am.

I need a good summer riding jacket or two tho, that's mostly what I could use advice on. I will look into the Joe Rocket stuff now. thanks.

KAR

Rip Riski
Jan 4, 2010
Elk Grove
If you are looking for pure summer, like above 80 degree weather go with mesh jackets. I have a mesh Joe rocket jacket for this when it gets that hot out as the all leather jacket gets way to hot in anthing above 80. Joe rocket is a good entry level gear to get into wearing protective gear with price for protection.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info