Niche cars like the Grand Prix, Cobalt, etc. Name me some bitches.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
For a few years I've considered riding the W Body wave off into the sunset and calling it a day once that market completely dries up. I have another business now that's completely unrelated to cars and it accounts for more of my income than W Body Store.

But it just seems like such a shame. We've spent 8 years now streamlining the process. I've experienced a lot of growing pains, learned a lot of lessons and now it finally feels like everything is coasting but we're in a dying market. We have the infrastructure for larger markets and the ability to add manufacturing and employees on a whim but my taste in cars has gotten a little more expensive so I haven't been as exposed to the enthusiasts as much as I was when I was doing the Taurus SHO's and the 3800 stuff. Not many A8 owners are getting together to socialize and if they do they're probably talking about stocks and how uncanny it is that all of their butler's names are Jeeves.

But I digress. I've been prodded into not wasting what we have and expanding. I just don't know what car. Ideally, I'd want something like the Grand Prix. Something that is popular, easy to modify, already has a following but that's not considered a traditional car in that it's not someone's first choice for a fast car.

The Corvette markets, Camaro, etc. Those aren't for me, at least not now. We're looking for the next 3800, the next Cobalt, the next Taurus SHO.

What cars are those? What car do you think represents that demographic? There's no wrong answer. Toss out a list of cars and share your opinions. And make it something cool because I'd probably have to buy one. :squint:

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
DSM? There's always a market for those cars and their parts, and similar R&D to expand to the evolution market. Issue is competition across almost all plains, with parts already produced in every price bracket. Older BMW M// is always an option, with many DIY'ers Modding E30/36/46 and respective 5 series model runs (34/39). The unibody Jeep market has exploded in the past few years for XJ/ZJ/WJ models, as they make for fun vehicles that fit any budget and are probably popular already as DD's for some of your current 3800 customers. Just my .02 but I hope it helps.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Genesis Coupe? Though there's already an established community. I'm not too familiar with the current state of modding. The 2.0T leaves A LOT on the table as far as performance from the factory (engine and chassis), plus it's already FI. The 2013 will have a higher-output version of the turbo four.

Mazdaspeed3 also doesn't seem to have too much aftermarket support.

TDI performance? Golf, Jetta, Passat and 2012 Beetle. Plus Audi A3. All great cars and the community is loyal.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
It sounds like mike is looking for a non-saturated market. Jeeps and dsm's are flooded by aftermarket support.

That's why I brought up unibody jeeps, and I half discredited DSM right away. Lower cost BMW parts I still feel would be a good option... even magnaflow is retarded expensive for those cars... something to consider.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
If not the Hyndai/Kia's previously mentioned, maybe Hybrid/Electric car aftermarket.
I know that's a stretch, but you'd be way ahead of the curve. That' would be tough since it's not your typical gas only performance car, but I think that sometime in the future, people will be tweaking them for more performance in power and handling.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I'm sure I'm going to get hell for this, but it's something I've HONESTLY considered getting into, but for the 98+ rangers (or even 93 and newer)...

There are a number of components that are one-off pieces that are fairly easy to build, that aren't sold by a vendor yet, but there are already CAD designs for etc.

Motor mount plates for V-8 swapping the 2wd trucks (There is a well documented design by someone named BrianB, I have the Blueprints for these, and had a set on my truck for 2 years that E made for me)
Brackets to mount Cobra front brakes (Only made for 93-97 trucks by a single guy "T-Rev" in occasional batches, no one currently sells 98+ Setups)
Rear disk brake swap
V-8 Explorer/Ranger headers (only one guy sells them currently, www.torquemonsterheaders.com, and they are $789 a set, which kills a lot of 98+ ranger guys from ever doing the swap as that alone is more than the cost of the swap, hand made, one at a time, 2-3 month lead time).
Stainless Steel brake lines for non-lifted applications
Efan relay kits that can handle a Taurus E-fan

My GFs family owns a machine shop, and I've kicked around the idea a few times, but don't really have the knowledge/resources to start anything.

The market is growing as the cost for specifically 98+ rangers is reaching levels attainable by a younger crowd, and you can do a Junkyard V-8 swap for less than a few hundred dollars if those fucking plates were mass produced.

The other perk I'd imagine would be drop-shipping could have a good margin as many ranger parts are VERY cheap depending upon where they are sourced from, and common problems are well documented as well as the components needed to rectify them.

There is a large following, and the two main forums I frequent are quite large and active (www.therangerstation.com, and www.rangerpowersports.com), neither really have a dedicated vendor, just a kind of hobbled together store on rangerpowersports that doesn't have anything I couldn't get off of Rockauto for cheaper. The only vendor even close to being a ranger vendor is www.explorerexpress.com, which really specializes more in V-6 Supercharger kits now more than anything and offers nothing else that you can't get elsewhere. There is no mention anywhere on any forum I'm on of someone saying "Oh, Go to www.RBVStore.com to get that" (RBV is just the platform/chassis name, just made up a random example website) anywhere despite countless hours roaming those forums.

I'm asking politely, PLEASE don't flame me for this, it's something I honestly feel is worth some looking into for you if you are considering looking into an emerging market that you could easily build components that no one currently offers that has a demand.

I know it's not especially cool, but it has a HUGE demographic of ages and possibilities (You have an on-road and off-road market potential).

This is not me swinging, they are still slow, they are still junk, but the market is there and nearly completely unsupported for one of the most popular compact trucks sold in the US.

GLIKENNY

Hooligan
Oct 7, 2008
Darien, Illinois
Real Name
Kenny
Genesis Coupe? Though there's already an established community. I'm not too familiar with the current state of modding. The 2.0T leaves A LOT on the table as far as performance from the factory (engine and chassis), plus it's already FI. The 2013 will have a higher-output version of the turbo four.

Mazdaspeed3 also doesn't seem to have too much aftermarket support.

TDI performance? Golf, Jetta, Passat and 2012 Beetle. Plus Audi A3. All great cars and the community is loyal.

I agree with the TDI. But don't leave out the FSI/TSI 2.0T motors also. VW even put the 2.0TSI in the new R. Same as with the MK6 GTI and GLI. The VW and Audi owners are very loyal to their brand. There are a lot of vendors for the VW Audi market however none are local. I'm sure the Midwest area owners would love to have a local vendor, myself included.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I agree with the TDI. But don't leave out the FSI/TSI 2.0T motors also. VW even put the 2.0TSI in the new R. Same as with the MK6 GTI and GLI. The VW and Audi owners are very loyal to their brand. There are a lot of vendors for the VW Audi market however none are local. I'm sure the Midwest area owners would love to have a local vendor, myself included.

For sure. TDI seemed more "niche" than the popular VW turbo engines that are in everything.

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
I know there isnt a huge market but I just wish someone would make SOMETHING for the Outlander Sport. This thing is slow as dog shit and even something as simple as a CAI is only made by one company www.colt-speed.ca and costs... get ready for it... $1200! And they dont even have any data on their site showing any gains. Fuck that lol. But good luck with whatever you start!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info