Worst fuel pump replacement ever.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I just spent the better part of 4 hours replacing both of the A8's fuel pumps. What. The. Frack. It's tank is shaped like a saddle. On each side of the saddle is a pump and each pump has a fuel level floater and an additional pump to pump gas to the other side of the saddle to keep the tank balanced.

This all wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to crawl in the trunk to replace them but you do. Then there's the fact that one pump feeds the other and they are connected by 6 different hoses. To connect them there's a tunnel that runs in the tank, above driveshaft and you need to feed the hoses through it and reach in to grab them from the other side.

This job sucked but I got my A8 back so I'm stoked. Time for the Bimmer to take a nap.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
make sure you blow the $ to replace the timing belt and all the idlers on time...it was years ago so hopefully its cheaper... them liquid sodium exhaust valves went for 120$ a pop x3 per cyl and took a couple weeks to get here.

one benifit to working at independant shops and working on damn near everything....you learn what you dont want to own :rofl:

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
just you wait til the gizmo's and gadgets start dropping like flies :rofl:
Really not that bad. The air compressor for the suspension will eventually fail. That's $600 and about 30 minutes to install. The gears on hidden display eventually fail and that's about $100.

Really, it's the stigma that kills these cars. It's not a Toyota Camry. Everything costs more and there's more maintenance that needs to be done but it's nothing oppressive, even when it needs fixing, unless it's a major component that fails.

But hell, even mid-range cars are using high end transmissions now. Just wait until Joe blow takes his Chrysler 300 in with transmission problems only to find out it's using an 8 speed ZF gearbox with a price tag of $5000.

Now, if you're not mechanical or able to do some of your own work? Then this car can bankrupt you pretty quick. The fuel pumps I just did for $200 would have cost $2000 if one were to have brought the car into an independent shop and even more from Audi.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
not as bad as a vette but try a suburban with the auxiliary tank that you cannot drain, total fuckin bitch damn near impossible to do without spilling gas all over lol

I hate those dual tank big GM trucks!!!! Especially the diesel ones! First off the customer always tends to go mudding before they come in, and second because I hate the smell of diesel

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info