Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
boss-vs-50_flipper.jpg

Sibling rivavlry is a great thing. Peyton vs Eli. Venus vs Serena. Klitschko vs Klitschko (fingers crossed). Pitting siblings against one another shows where similar genes have taken different paths, where each has focused their attention and, most importantly, which one has the drive to really take the win.

There are two siblings on the Ford family tree so closely related that there's no appreciable difference to the casual observer. We are, of course, talking about the Ford Mustang Boss 302 and the Ford Mustang GT. Most people wouldn't notice the Boss's subtle ride height difference or the aggressive front splitter, and there's no way that they'll notice that this car has an additional 32 horsepower more than the stock 412-hp Ford Mustang GT 5.0.

We've run them both through our track testing procedures, and now it's time to see which Mustang mom will love more.

2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302

0-30 (sec.): 2.2
0-45 (sec.): 3.6
0-60 (sec.): 4.8
0-60 with 1-ft Rollout (sec.): 4.5
0-75 (sec.): 6.7
1/4-mile (sec @ mph): 12.9 @ 112.8

30-0 (ft): 27
60-0 (ft): 108

2011 Ford Mustang GT 5.0

0-30 (sec.): 2.2
0-45 (sec.): 3.5
0-60 (sec.): 5.0
0-60 with 1-ft Rollout (sec.): 4.8
0-75 (sec.): 6.8
1/4-mile (sec @ mph): 13.1 @ 109.5

boss-thumb-717x477-108918.jpg

Vehicle: 2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302

Odometer: 6,941
Date: 11-22-2011
Driver: Mike Monticello
Price: $40,310 (base)

Specifications:
Drive Type: Front engine, rear-wheel drive
Transmission Type: Six-speed manual
Engine Type: naturally aspirated V8
Displacement (cc/cu-in): 4,951/302
Redline (rpm): 7,500
Horsepower (hp @ rpm): 444 @ 7,400 rpm
Torque (lb-ft @ rpm): 380 @ 4,500
Brake Type (front): 14.0-inch ventilated discs with 4-piston fixed calipers
Brake Type (rear): 11.8-inch ventilated discs with single-piston sliding calipers
Suspension Type(front): Independent MacPherson strut, manually adjustable dampers, stabilizer bar
Suspension Type (rear): Solid axle, Panhard bar, stabilizer bar, manually adjustable dampers
Tire Size (front): 255/40ZR19
Tire Size (rear): 285/35ZR19
Tire Brand: Pirelli
Tire Model: P Zero
Tire Type: Assymetrical summer performance
As tested Curb Weight (lb): 3,630

Test Results:

Acceleration
0-30 (sec): 2.2 (2.2 w/TC on)
0-45 (sec): 3.6 (3.6 w/TC on)
0-60 (sec): 4.8 (5.0 w/TC on)
0-60 with 1-ft Rollout (sec): 4.5 (4.6 w/TC on)
0-75 (sec): 6.7 (6.9 w/TC on)
1/4-Mile (sec @ mph): 12.9 @ 112.8 (12.9 @ 112.3 w/TC on)

Braking:
60-0 (ft): 108

Handling
Slalom (mph): 68.3 ( 65.7 w/TC on)
Skid Pad Lateral acceleration (g): 0.94 ( 0.94 w/ TC on)

Db @ Idle: 51.7
Db @ Full Throttle: 85.0
Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 68.9

Acceleration: Tough to launch. Axle hop is the biggest problem, although it's easy to get wheelspin, too. Usually, you're dealing with both. Launching between 2,000 and 2,500 rpm worked best, keeping from full throttle until the car is a little bit off the line and has traction. Gearbox needs a firm yet gentle hand. I found 5th instead of 3rd once. Slippery shifter knob. But damn does the Boss sound good. Love those side pipes.

Braking: Fairly firm pedal, although was expecting a bit better feel. Good short travel, though. The Boss stops with a minimum of fuss and noise from the tires, little nosedive. First stop was 110 feet. Shortest was 5th at 108. Longest was 4th at 112 feet.

Handling:

Skid pad: Easy to find and keep the limits during steady-state cornering. None of the nervousness as experienced in the slalom.

Slalom: Noticeably less confident than the Boss 302 Laguna Seca car we tested previously. Feels anxious and never truly stuck. Rapid turn-in is hard to adjust to.

50-thumb-717x477-108916.jpg

Vehicle: 2011 Ford Mustang GT

Odometer: 1,451
Date: 1/5/2011
Driver: Chris Walton
Price: $38,780 as equipped ($32,845 base)

Specifications:
Drive Type: Front engine, rear-wheel drive
Transmission Type: Six-speed manual
Engine Type: Naturally aspirated V8
Displacement (cc/cu-in): 4,951/302
Redline (rpm): 7,000
Horsepower (hp @ rpm): 412 @ 6,500
Torque (lb-ft @ rpm): 390 @ 4,250
Brake Type (front): 14-inch ventilated disc with four-piston Brembo fixed calipers
Brake Type (rear): 11.8-inch ventilated disc with single-piston sliding calipers
Steering System: Electronic speed-proportional power steering
Suspension Type (front): MacPherson strut
Suspension Type (rear): Solid live axle
Tire Size (front): 255/40ZR19
Tire Size (rear): 255/40ZR19
Tire Brand: Pirelli
Tire Model: P Zero
Tire Type: Asymmetrical summer performance
Wheel size:19-by-9.0 inches
Wheel material (front/rear): Alloy
As tested Curb Weight (lb): 3,629

Test Results:

Acceleration
0-30 (sec): 2.2 (2.3 w/TC on)
0-45 (sec): 3.5 (3.6 w/TC on)
0-60 (sec): 5.0 (5.2 w/TC on)
0-75 (sec): 6.8 (6.9 w/TC on)
1/4-Mile (sec @ mph): 13.1 @ 109.5 (13.2 @ 109.2 w/TC on)
0-60 with 1-ft Rollout (sec): 4.8 (4.9 w/TC on)

Braking
60-0 (ft): 109

Handling
Slalom (mph): 69.0 (67 w/TC on)
Skid Pad Lateral acceleration (g): 0.92 (0.91 w/TC on)

Db @ Idle: 48.8
Db @ Full Throttle: 83.6
Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 69.8

Comments
Acceleration: As we've noted before, this car runs consistent 5.1-second 0-60 times, but getting under 5.0 requires an optimal launch with virtually no spin (or bog). Hard to "hear" if the tires are spinning or gripping -- they just sort of haze. Shifter felt a little tight/binding but never missed a gate. These are very short gears and I had to go to 5th for the quarter-mile. (2-3 shift @ 59.5!)

Braking: Little/moderate dive, moderate pedal effort and idle stroke, but straight, short and highly fade-resistant.

Handling:

Skid pad: Balance seems to shift around quite a bit with ESC off so there is some (not much) steering input required to maintain consistent arc. Mild understeer at limit with so-so steering feel/info. With ESC on, very subtle brake corrections and high threshold for intrusion.

Slalom: Still amazes me how much better the 2011 is compared to the 2010 here: Crisp, trustworthy turn-in, takes a set very well and as long as throttle input is minute and smooth, there's some lift throttle rotation available. Too much throttle-out and the rear end gets very loose. Steering is precise and weighted just right for quick "dabs of oppo" -- especially at the exit. Well done.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Isn't the motor almost completely worked over too? More so than just a new intake manifold and some tuning?

Some of the Boss-specific parts contributing to the Boss 302 V8's output and durability include:
-Revised composite intake system with shorter runners, inspired by Daytona Prototype racing engines, for high-rpm breathing
-Forged aluminum pistons and upgraded sinter-forged connecting rods for improved strength, needed for the higher combustion pressures and engine speeds
-New high-strength aluminum-alloy cylinder heads with fully CNC-machined ports and chambers for exceptional high-rpm airflow without sacrificing low-speed torque
-Lightened valvetrain components to provide excellent dynamic performance up to speeds well above the engine redline
-Sodium-filled exhaust valves for improved heat dissipation
-Race-specification crankshaft main and rod bearings for higher load capability and improved high-speed durability
-5W50 full-synthetic oil with engine oil cooler for improved oil pressure and longer-lasting lubrication during extreme racing conditions
-Revised oil pan baffling for improved oil control under racing conditions and during cornering loads greater than 1.0 g

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Some of the Boss-specific parts contributing to the Boss 302 V8's output and durability include:
-Revised composite intake system with shorter runners, inspired by Daytona Prototype racing engines, for high-rpm breathing
-Forged aluminum pistons and upgraded sinter-forged connecting rods for improved strength, needed for the higher combustion pressures and engine speeds
-New high-strength aluminum-alloy cylinder heads with fully CNC-machined ports and chambers for exceptional high-rpm airflow without sacrificing low-speed torque
-Lightened valvetrain components to provide excellent dynamic performance up to speeds well above the engine redline
-Sodium-filled exhaust valves for improved heat dissipation
-Race-specification crankshaft main and rod bearings for higher load capability and improved high-speed durability
-5W50 full-synthetic oil with engine oil cooler for improved oil pressure and longer-lasting lubrication during extreme racing conditions
-Revised oil pan baffling for improved oil control under racing conditions and during cornering loads greater than 1.0 g

The Boss 5.0 is actually $5k more on the FRPP website than the regular 5.0. Seems like the extra money is starting to look more and more like a bargain.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
The Boss 5.0 is actually $5k more on the FRPP website than the regular 5.0. Seems like the extra money is starting to look more and more like a bargain.

Good luck getting it for only $5k over though. Rod Baker Ford, where I bought my car at, has an '11 Roush Stage 1, '11 Roush Stage 3, '11 GT500, '12 Boss 302, and an '08 and '11 Cobra Jet. All of them have a $10k "specialty vehicle 'tax'" tagged on the windows. The Roushes and GT500 were 54-59k, Boss 302 was 52k and I don't know what the Cobra Jets were, probably 100k+. I'm sure other dealers do the exact same thing on those "specialty" vehicles.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Good luck getting it for only $5k over though. Rod Baker Ford, where I bought my car at, has an '11 Roush Stage 1, '11 Roush Stage 3, '11 GT500, '12 Boss 302, and an '08 and '11 Cobra Jet. All of them have a $10k "specialty vehicle 'tax'" tagged on the windows. The Roushes and GT500 were 54-59k, Boss 302 was 52k and I don't know what the Cobra Jets were, probably 100k+. I'm sure other dealers do the exact same thing on those "specialty" vehicles.

I was specifically talking about the crate motors only

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Then you can just start going down the line and saying why not a few hundred, here or there, and it just starts to add up. The main goal with the 5.0 and the BOSS (even though dealer markup is just ridic) is to keep costs down while maintaining a high level of performance.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
I'm sure the crank failure rate is close to nil. I'm just trying to say that even using Ford's own cal tool with the GT FRPP power pack(drop in filter, race oil/filter, GT500 mufflers, FRPP(which I would assume is a slightly watered down Boss) tune) people are popping ring lands on #8. If Ford realized that was happening and put the forged pistons/rods in the Boss as a precautionary "just in case" why not just make the entire bottom end forged as a "just in case"?

On another note, why not put at least the forged pistons in the GT? I understand the Boss is the niche vehicle and the GT is the production "me too" but why risk having to replace an $8000 engine on Ford's dime when they could spend $300 more on better pistons to completely negate that problem that's prevalent in the GT 5.0.

EDIT: I do understand what you're saying. Since the Boss is already a niche vehicle I just don't see why they wouldn't forge the crank as a "just in case" as previously stated.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Now that you mentioned it, I remember reading an article where they hollowed the valves for less mass in the valve train and went with lighter everything for higher RPM power. So in essence, I r dumb since I forgot what I read.

Again, my whole point is a "just in case" view. Much like the hypereutectic vs forged pistons and powdered vs forged rods.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
There are bean counters the engineers have to deal with too. Otherwise they whole car would be made with expensive and exotic materials to keep weight down. You have to draw the line some where. And in a car built with a more specific application you rule out other variables. They don't look at the customer slapping a whipple on a 11:1 motor as some thing they need to worry about. The customer needs to worry about that. When they start breaking cranks or having issues with the cast cranks I am sure they will look at some thing different. But I doubt it will get to that point.

Stealships and their greed kill more sales then anything else. It is sad that you pretty much have to leave the Chicago area to get a deal on a car, except for Chrysler products.

For Chrysler products Sherman Dodge-Ram-Jeep-Chrysler pretty much sells any car for between $4,000-$7,000 off of sticker. Its all posted on their website.

I don't think anybody beat "CAMARO SCOTTY'S" prices on a Camaro. He is up in Wisconson.

I never looks for a Mustang new. I am sure there is a dealership somewere "letting them go" for sticker, but you are going o have to leave Chicago or Northwest Indiana to find it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info