Fuel in spare tire compartment in Equinox

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
We were driving home tonight in the Equinox and started smelling what initially smelled like WD40 in her car.

Once get got home, we tried finding out what it was. We opened the compartment with the spare tire and it had about one inch of gas sitting at the bottom. We have no idea how it happened. Has anyone ever heard of this happening before?

Here are a couple of pics:

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
My guess is that there is a hole in the line that goes from the fuel door to the fuel tank. So when she filled up her car on Friday night, some of it went through the opening and into the car somehow. I think the smell didn't get strong because it is a somewhat sealed compartment. It took about a day before the fumes built up.

I'm a little worried because my pregnant girlfriend and I were in the car for about forty minutes. I doubt that little exposure could be that serious.

I estimate that it was about 3-4 gallons of gas. I filled a 5 gallon gas can more than half way up.

We're hoping somehow the dealer will fix it for free since it is something so serious. If not, I'm going to get in touch with corporate and see what they say. Fuel in the inside the car is ridiculous and there should be now way of that happening.

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
It turns out that I can't smell the difference between stagnant water and gas. It ended up being water after all. The car smelled horribly, but the smell was not gas fumes.

They re-sealed the rear window and said that it should not leak any more water into the tire well. It's crazy how it had this chemical smell to it though.

Well, at least the dealership can say they had a customer that couldn't smell the difference between gasoline and water.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Yea the sound deadening material inside that spare tire well is weird stuff and if soaked will seep out into the water making it cloudy. I've fixed probably about 5 equinoxes for this same problem. I hope they didn't just resell the hatch because the is a bulletin about taking off the rear bumper and using seam sealer on all the joints of the sheet metal in that area..... I've done that every time and have never had one come back

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Yea the sound deadening material inside that spare tire well is weird stuff and if soaked will seep out into the water making it cloudy. I've fixed probably about 5 equinoxes for this same problem. I hope they didn't just resell the hatch because the is a bulletin about taking off the rear bumper and using seam sealer on all the joints of the sheet metal in that area..... I've done that every time and have never had one come back

I'm pretty sure that they just re-sealed the hatch. I'm not sure what our recourse would be. If it leaks again any time soon, we'll probably ask them to do it right. I'm not sure how much her bill is going to be or for what period of time the work is warranteed. I'm guessing they only cover it for 30 days.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info