my review of 2011 v6 mustang.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I rented a v6 mustang for this weekend- cuz well it's cheap as fuck since I am friends with the enterprise people that I used to work with.

lets start with the good.

Surprising. That's the best word I can use for it. It's decently quick, which granted- it does have 300+ hp, but I didn't expect it to move like it does. That being said, it feels like absolutely no power til about 3-4k rpm, but then it moves pretty okay. Does some pretty good brake torques also. :pedobear:

Trans shifts weird to me. I wanted firmer shifts, it feels like it's slipping almost. but whatever. its a v6 mustang. i shouldn't expect too much awesomeness.

Gas mileage. Holy fuck. I got into the thing, (2011 with 22k miles on it) and the information center deal said that the car had been getting 32.4 mpg. huhhhhhh?! how the fuck. so i drove with it for a while thinking mmm maybe it was just reset and I anticipated it changing quickly. nope. wtf. so i reset it for my drive home. got home and the gauge read 38 mpg.

albeit not hand calculated, but 30+ mpg in a commute style traffic situation from barrington to mchenry impressed me quite a bit, especially because of how peppy it is.

I also must say, i love how the new bodied mustangs look.

With all that being said, I couldn't ever have one, v8 or v6.

I don't fucking fit. to hit the gas pedal, i have to position my body into a yoga like move. Uncomfortable as shit. here is why.

2011-mustang-interior.jpg

look to the left of the knobs on the dash. yeah. where my right knee would go. it doesn't go there because that center counsel thing, i could not adjust the manual seat to any position even close to getting close to being comfortable (ps, yes I am 6 5)

also. why the fuck doesn't every car have automatic headlights. small thing, but what the shit. i didn't know they made cars without them still.

all in all though, i liked the powertrain, and how the car drove, quite a bit. 30+ mpg and 300+ hp. is fucking awesome. but godaamn i wish they would have made the car for someone over 6' tall. my buddy devin who is also 6 5 drove it, and before i even asked him about it he had the same complaint. i really wish i would have fit, because when these things are used in a year or two and cheap, i may have picked one up for a ripper.

anyone else driven it? for more than just a test drive?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
A lot of people have the same figment problems in a bunch of new Ford products. Ford loves their huge center consoles but even in the Explorer, like the Taurus (same platform), it makes it feel small on the inside for how huge it is on the outside.

The V6 Stang with the performance package and manual trans is the way to go. Drove that from Road America back here and it was awesome. Would take it over any of the other similar V6 coupes.

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
i like drl's that you can override and turn off, like my burban has. id for sure leave the headlights in this car on somewhere and fuck myself.

but i really did like the car, except for the me not fitting part.

I think they are still on a timer and if you leave them on they will shut off after a couple minutes. At least that is how our Acura was.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
the healight issue must be different with different models. It lets me select whatever the hell mode I would like on mine. Auto with or without driving lamps, manual headlight or manual driving lamps, parking marker lights only or not a damn thing.

I am 6'2-6'3'' and I had the same issue with the manual seats. But, the car I have has the full electric that can adjust every single angle. I currently have it all the way bottomed out which frees up a lot of knee room. Requires me to move the seat up for the pedals. Even at that....headroom could still be an issue depending on how I am sitting.

I was considering the v6 premium for the gas mileage, but the power band not being there 100% of the time sucked for me. Reminded me of the turbo lag I wanted to get rid of.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
anyone else driven it? for more than just a test drive?

The V6 Stang with the performance package and manual trans is the way to go. Drove that from Road America back here and it was awesome. Would take it over any of the other similar V6 coupes.

I test drove a V6 with the Performance Package with the Manual, and like KJ already said, it is REALLY gutless under like 3500RPM, which kinda sucked the fun out of it being a 6 speed on a test drive. I'm sure it would have been a lot more enjoyable 9/10th's, but for the 28K sticker of the one I test drove I'd rather buy a 5.0 if I was going to shell out that kind of money honestly...

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Mustangs have had seat issues with tall drivers since day one. There are aftermarket seat brackets just for this reason. They move the seats back a few inches. They design the car around an "average" person. If you are 4'10" or 6'5" most cars are not designed for you. haha

I love The Car Show when they put John Salley in the compact cars. Interesting to see how different manufactures accommodate taller people like Salley.

The V6 Mustang seems to offer pretty good performance and get great MPG. Seems like it needs more torque down low. I wonder if it is being held back in the tune due to the effort to get more mpg than performance down low? hmmmm Impressive car none the less.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
The V6 Mustang seems to offer pretty good performance and get great MPG. Seems like it needs more torque down low. I wonder if it is being held back in the tune due to the effort to get more mpg than performance down low? hmmmm Impressive car none the less.

IIRC they have a cam-phasing/Variable Valve timing system that is probably setup for economy down low over power. 3 valve mustang guys use those cam phaser blocks to just lock the cam onto the power side, I wonder if something similar will appear in the aftermarket.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info