Column shift woes 69 Impala

Well it will still be able to make it to the dyno day but the shifter has begun exhibiting some issues.

The main problem is it seems that the 'clicker' inside the steering column that you have to pull towards you before going out of park, that mechanism, seems to be out of adjustment. Drive isn't quite where it should be and sometimes pops into neutral while I am driving.

Also you gotta jam it up into park to get the key to turn back and come out too.

The car only has 44000 miles on it and as far as I can tell the gear selection mechanism works fine in the trans, it's just a problem in the column.

Anyone know about these? Information, parts, ETC? I'm searching google right now trying to find out anything. From looking at it, I'm sure the steering wheel has to come off to service it, but considering it has no air bag or anything I don't think it will be difficult.

Thanks in advance!

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
there's a gate that the selector locks into for the detents. does the shift lever "twist" at all? that may be a worn/falling out pivot rollpin

how free are the plastic bushings around the ends of the shift rod (between the shift arm at the bottom of the column shift tube and the trans shift arm) they may be worn (common on infrequent use cars as well as high mileage cars)

there is an adjustment on the shift rod under the car

a bad trans mount will cause all sorts of woefull issues as will a rotted body mount at the drivers floorboard

there's a gate that the selector locks into for the detents. does the shift lever "twist" at all? that may be a worn/falling out pivot rollpin

how free are the plastic bushings around the ends of the shift rod (between the shift arm at the bottom of the column shift tube and the trans shift arm) they may be worn (common on infrequent use cars as well as high mileage cars)

there is an adjustment on the shift rod under the car

a bad trans mount will cause all sorts of woefull issues as will a rotted body mount at the drivers floorboard

Thank you someone who knows what I'm working on!!!

As for the shift lever, I do not believe it twists at all. The plastic bushings far as I can tell are pretty tight. There is an adjustment? Maybe there is so much dirt/grease over the shift linkages I didn't see them. As far as i can tell with all the body mounts and such the car is extremely tight. The trans mount and engine mounts are all old but still good, it even has the update of the 'helper cables' by the A arms.

Is there any advice you can offer for making that adjustment underneath?

And for up top, is it worth pulling the steering wheel off and looking inside by the shifter to check if anything is broken/out of whack up there?

thanks again!!!!!!

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Thank you someone who knows what I'm working on!!!

As for the shift lever, I do not believe it twists at all. The plastic bushings far as I can tell are pretty tight. There is an adjustment? Maybe there is so much dirt/grease over the shift linkages I didn't see them. As far as i can tell with all the body mounts and such the car is extremely tight. The trans mount and engine mounts are all old but still good, it even has the update of the 'helper cables' by the A arms.

Is there any advice you can offer for making that adjustment underneath?

And for up top, is it worth pulling the steering wheel off and looking inside by the shifter to check if anything is broken/out of whack up there?

thanks again!!!!!!

its probably not worth pulling the column apart unless you have a new shifter gate or are planning to have it welded up and reground. the detent is likely worn at least a fair amount from those that shift without fully pulling back the shifter.

the adjustment is a pinch bolt arangment at usually the column end of the rod, watch the mechanism as a friend shifts it and look for any obvious play, then pull the rod from the trans shift arm place it in park and have him/her shift it slowly into park, if the rod lines up with the hole in the arm its should be cose to correnct. shift the trans into D or lo and have the helper do the same, check the rod alignment then.
if its off either way at either end adjust to the middle.

oh and grease the pivots esp the trans shift arm shaft (one end sits in a half sphere bushing in the drivers side framerail, it kinda looks like a 7) make sure it still has the spring in place to force the bushing into the socket in the frame rail.

gl

its probably not worth pulling the column apart unless you have a new shifter gate or are planning to have it welded up and reground. the detent is likely worn at least a fair amount from those that shift without fully pulling back the shifter.

the adjustment is a pinch bolt arangment at usually the column end of the rod, watch the mechanism as a friend shifts it and look for any obvious play, then pull the rod from the trans shift arm place it in park and have him/her shift it slowly into park, if the rod lines up with the hole in the arm its should be cose to correnct. shift the trans into D or lo and have the helper do the same, check the rod alignment then.
if its off either way at either end adjust to the middle.

oh and grease the pivots esp the trans shift arm shaft (one end sits in a half sphere bushing in the drivers side framerail, it kinda looks like a 7) make sure it still has the spring in place to force the bushing into the socket in the frame rail.

gl

Did that today and got it dang near perfect. Park works fine, key comes out fine, stays in drive. Thanks for the information. I'm glad it was just an adjustment! I did this plus I took out the P/N/Backup light switch, cleaned that and adjusted that and got the backup lights to work near perfect too.

Unfortunately these are a few of more things the car needs, but now she should be set for next weekend.

I appreciate the help!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info