2001 jeep wrangler no start

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
A buddy of mine has a 01 jeep wrangler with the 4.0/auto. Went to start it and it jut cranks. Lights and radio work fine, tried jumping it, still the same. Fuses all look good, and we hooked a scan tool up to it. The gauges do nothing and the scan tool doesn't even acknowledge the vehicle. Thinking it may have a bad PCM...? Thoughts?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
A buddy of mine has a 01 jeep wrangler with the 4.0/auto. Went to start it and it jut cranks. Lights and radio work fine, tried jumping it, still the same. Fuses all look good, and we hooked a scan tool up to it. The gauges do nothing and the scan tool doesn't even acknowledge the vehicle. Thinking it may have a bad PCM...? Thoughts?

Check for corroded/bad/broken grounds.

DarkShadow

o.O
TCG Premium
Aug 1, 2007
Berkeley, IL
I had this happen on my 98 cherokee, crank sensor. if the sensor fails the pcm doesnt boot. so nothing will work until its replaced, try unplugging the sensor and see if you get a pcm boot.

If it has no check engine light period on right now even for the bulb check and cranking, and you disconnect the sensor and the light starts working.... thats it.

its on top of the transmission itself. open hood. looking down in, it will be top right of the transmission bellhousing, at about your 1 oclock if looking at the trans as a clock.

the bolt holding it you will need to get to from under the car with some good extension and a swivel. we just did a motor replacement on a 4.0 jeep and i had to remove that to get hte engine out. get the bolt out, and slide the sensor up. its maybe 1.5 inches long. make sure the new one has the little peice of like wax paper on the tip of the sensor.

you may have to remove the intake mani to get at it good. i dealt with it with just a block and head in the engine bay so i could climb into the engine bay to get at it.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
its on top of the transmission itself. open hood. looking down in, it will be top right of the transmission bellhousing, at about your 1 oclock if looking at the trans as a clock.

the bolt holding it you will need to get to from under the car with some good extension and a swivel. we just did a motor replacement on a 4.0 jeep and i had to remove that to get hte engine out. get the bolt out, and slide the sensor up. its maybe 1.5 inches long. make sure the new one has the little peice of like wax paper on the tip of the sensor.

you may have to remove the intake mani to get at it good. i dealt with it with just a block and head in the engine bay so i could climb into the engine bay to get at it.

Alright doesnt sound too bad. Is it just a remove and replace or do I need to line it up/re-learn anything?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info