02' Cavalier 2.2 OHV headgasket

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Looks like my other beater needs a headgasket. Car warms up, fan comes on but the car rapidly starts to overheat. The coolant reservoir even before it hits has slight steam and bubbles coming out.

Does this sound like a HG failure? I heard it's not that uncommon on his engine. If so what's the going rate for this job? I would really hate to get rid of this car as it's still in great condition and literally has every maintenance reciept, original window sticker, and a booklet of eveytime it was ever filled with gas.

Thoughts?
-Nick

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Looks like my other beater needs a headgasket. Car warms up, fan comes on but the car rapidly starts to overheat. The coolant reservoir even before it hits has slight steam and bubbles coming out.

Does this sound like a HG failure? I heard it's not that uncommon on his engine. If so what's the going rate for this job? I would really hate to get rid of this car as it's still in great condition and literally has every maintenance reciept, original window sticker, and a booklet of eveytime it was ever filled with gas.

Thoughts?
-Nick

Do these things run DexCool from the factory? Did you ever change it out?

Miles on it? etc?

Stuck T-stat could also cause what you are experiancing being that it heats up quite so quickly. Blown headgaskets don't usually overheat quite as quickly as you are describing in my experience (steady heating up to pegged).

Also have you done the typical stuff? (Check your oil for coolant, check your coolant for oil, Compression test?)

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Oil level is good and clean (even being "overdue"). Coolant doesn't look to have oil in it. Havent done a compression test yet as I have no tester.

Mileage is 128k, I'm sure the coolant has been changed before, I'd have to go thru the records.

If the comp test passes, I'd say flush the hell out of your coolant system and replace the T-stat.

if it doesn't, knock out the headgasket, it is fairly easy on those motors.

headgaskets are common on these. steam/bubbles pretty much confirms a bad head gasket.

labor guide calls for 8 hours plus parts and machine shop service. you're probably looking at $1200-1400 having a shop do it.

x2. Buddy has a Cavi with the same engine and it blew a head gasket. Then my other buddies shop quoted him $1600 but that was just a rough estimate because they didn't know if they would need to replace the head or not. If they would have, it could have easily been over $2k.

If it isn't the t stat and it is a head gasket I highly suggest you cut your losses and sell it for a new beater, unless you are doing the work yourself.

headgaskets are common on these. steam/bubbles pretty much confirms a bad head gasket.

labor guide calls for 8 hours plus parts and machine shop service. you're probably looking at $1200-1400 having a shop do it.

Yup

x2. Buddy has a Cavi with the same engine and it blew a head gasket. Then my other buddies shop quoted him $1600 but that was just a rough estimate because they didn't know if they would need to replace the head or not. If they would have, it could have easily been over $2k.

If it isn't the t stat and it is a head gasket I highly suggest you cut your losses and sell it for a new beater, unless you are doing the work yourself.

There are guys banging out this job for about $600 if don't need a head.
But I would do the timing chan and tensioner if I were this far.

Thanks guys, and thanks crawlin. Headgasket is OK. I ended up replacing the T-stat, lower hose (since I had it off anyways), and the pressure cap (why not, it was original) and the car no longer goes to overheat. Runs well. A/C needs a charge though.

Awesome! You got lucky!

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Thanks guys, and thanks crawlin. Headgasket is OK. I ended up replacing the T-stat, lower hose (since I had it off anyways), and the pressure cap (why not, it was original) and the car no longer goes to overheat. Runs well. A/C needs a charge though.

The way you were describing how quickly the heat climbed, I was suspicious the T-stat may have been at fault. Glad to hear!

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Very lucky. I had that feeling in my stomach that I was throwing parts at something that was much more serious. I THINK that the lower hose may have been collapsing because with no load it would heat up and then slowly creep to the red under load it was much faster heading towards the red. Either way I'm glad it was a cheap fix!

Thanks again everyone!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info