Need a hand for a friends new Contour (Haynes/AllData pics etc?)

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Long story short, Helped a friend buy her first car the night before last (97 Contour GL)

Got a decent deal on it and it had a few nick-nacks wrong with it that I addressed last night. (Trans over-full because the PO thought the trans was slipping... Car has a bad/Dirty MAF sensor causing the issue, drove it home with the MAF unplugged problem free, super clean interior, body had a few assorted scratches, but no big dents or bad rust etc.), flushed trans, filled it to the correct spec, changed oil, etc. Ran silky smooth, shifted good despite being over full during the test drive.

the last remaining 'issue' is the temperature gauge on the dash board.

The dash board display climbs to the red marker on the temp gauge and sits there. The car does not over heat, and the Fan kicks on/off etc and I researched prior to helping her get this car that it is not an uncommon problem and is caused when the temperature sensor fails (It fails hot trying to get you to fix the problem asap since you won't know how hot or cold its running) I test drove it for nearly an hour to make sure it was OK.

Contour has 2, 2 wire coolant sensors, one for the ECU, one for the dashboard. The one that is for the ECU has been replaced at one point (Above the T-stat)

The other one I had read is by/below the water pump and prone to failure because of its location. Can anyone get me an AllData or Haynes manual pages for how to replace this sensor?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
those manuals are like $20... Would be a good investment for a 14 year old car... And especially for a contour...

Contours are REALLY stout little cars honestly...

PreCursor to the Focus (Same drivetrain), and this one specifically is manual everything except auto trans and power steering.

I'm very familiar with everything else on the car, just not familiar with the passenger side of the Zetec engine where this sensor is to my understanding. rather not spend $25 when a picture is all I need :(. That and her budget is SUPER limited, and I have no need for the manual for myself.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I used to have a Haynes for my Contour....I'll see if I still have it, if I do I'll shoot you a PM tonight and maybe just give it to you as I definitely won't need it anymore

My contour was really good to me. Towards the end (120K miles) it developed a miss at low rpms. Never put much into trying to figure it out, as I was going to get rid of it anyways. Owned it for 4-5 years and replaced only the tires, rear shocks, and a shift tower bolt (HUGE PITA, $5 bolt broke internally in the trans, had to drop it just to replace). Other than the normal wear and tear they are pretty reliable little cars. The 2.5 is a solid motor with nice torque

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Is it a 2.0L or 2.5L. Trying to help you out via shopkey, there are 2 different coolant temperature sensors it talks about, both in the same place supposedly. Let me know what engine it is, cause I can give you a diagram of where all the sensors/switches under the hood are located.

2.0 Zetec 4 banger, DOHC, non flex-fuel.

The 2.5 is the 6 cyl, wish I could have gotten one of those for the price we paid, but I'm sure she will appreciate the fuel economy.

That'd be awesome Birdman!

I've got alldata at work. I'll set you up this afternoon. PM me around 3 as a reminder though, I'll probably forget.

I'll shoot you a PM if I remember around 3.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll just feel ALOT better once this is fixed for her.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I used to have a Haynes for my Contour....I'll see if I still have it, if I do I'll shoot you a PM tonight and maybe just give it to you as I definitely won't need it anymore

That'd be killer!

This one is a 4 cyl, but as a whole, I have never seen contours being known for any big 'critical' failures. Not really notorious for blowing headgaskets, or detonating transmissions etc. The non SVT Trim ones are just 'appliances', but I've seen them be very good little A-B cars for many many years problem free.

9zvijc.gif

Here ya go man, print it just in case because I just uploaded it to tiny pic. According to Shop Key it's on the upper left side of the engine near the thermostat housing. Sorry I couldn't find a procedure or instructions you gotta dig for that shit when it comes to Shop Key and I don't have the time right now cause I'm at work. If I remember to later once I'm home tho I'll see if I can find a procedure.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Here ya go man, print it just in case because I just uploaded it to tiny pic. According to Shop Key it's on the upper left side of the engine near the thermostat housing. Sorry I couldn't find a procedure or instructions you gotta dig for that shit when it comes to Shop Key and I don't have the time right now cause I'm at work. If I remember to later once I'm home tho I'll see if I can find a procedure.

The ECT has been replaced prior to us buying it... I was under the impression that there is another sensor that handles the gauge that is in a different location? I bought a "coolant temperature sender" for the Contour... and its a different plug/shape from the ECT for the same engine/etc.....

*edit*

Looks like its BELOW the thermostat (reading on Advanced autos website)... the ECU one is ABOVE the thermostat.... I'll have to take a look again when I see the car later this week.

My bad, I missed that part in your original post. Regardless shop key did say it had 2 different coolant sensors (I think it said instrument coolant temperature sensor the just coolant temperature sensor), both under the hood. I figured it was for both the 2.0 and 2.5 (cause on the chart of sensors it lists both engines) but I guess it's for the 2.5 L only. Sorry I can't be of more help at the moment.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
My bad, I missed that part in your original post. Regardless shop key did say it had 2 different coolant sensors (I think it said instrument coolant temperature sensor the just coolant temperature sensor), both under the hood. I figured it was for both the 2.0 and 2.5 (cause on the chart of sensors it lists both engines) but I guess it's for the 2.5 L only. Sorry I can't be of more help at the moment.

Nonono, you posted the 2.0 in your picture, and the car is the 2.0, its just not labeled in this diagram for some reason.....

Its below the T-stat neck, and angled down I've read in 3 places now, I think I'm golden, its not under the water pump (Thank god) and its just hard to spot.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info