Rear drivetrain clunk

Tuner World

The tech kid!!
Mar 8, 2009
Hoffman Estates
Every time I let go of the gas and there is no load in the drivetrain, I get this steady clunking and sometimes squeal. Pretty sure it's coming from the rear drivers side area. It only happens when the car is coasting/ if I am braking. If I brake with my foot on the gas a little bit to give some load to the drivetrain, it will not clunk or squeak and it will stop just fine. It doesn't feel like the car is gonna break down and it still drives smooth while on the gas, but you can feel the clunk.

It started happening couple days ago randomly and can't figure it out. Granted I haven't checked it out yet (shitty weather+no garage) but wanted to see if anyone had this problem before and can point it out right away. So far I'm thinking the main culprit is the wheel bearing a buddy said he had a similar problem when his was going out. Other than that I was thinking possibly differential, axle, or maybe something to do with the driveshaft. What do you guys think?

Here's a vid of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjfcznG6qrw

Vid of the squeak. It's only 3 seconds got a call that interupted it but it's all I got you can hear it a bit. It's in the beginning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X1vm3bF3l4

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I'd check the drive shaft u-joints and the half shaft joints. Just shake everything around and check for play.

Reading the description I was going to say I have a similar problem and it's my rear diff spider gears but after watching that video it's not the same. Mine is a few clunks then it goes away.

Tuner World

The tech kid!!
Mar 8, 2009
Hoffman Estates
Forsure I'll check the joints today or tomorrow. I was also thinking that but then the noise coming mostly from the rear drivers side wheel got me thinking different. It's random because there was no sign of anything bad before it was just I parked my car in a parking lot for 5 hours it rained and when I picked it up it was doing it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Tuner World
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list