Girlfriend's car died, won't start

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
She was driving and she said the oil light came on and the engine didn't shut off but the car stopped and it wouldn't move or steer. I checked the oil and it was pretty dry. I put some oil in and tried to start it, it sounds like the engine turned over and started but it just dies instantly. Also, there was a pretty good puddle of fluid to the right of the engine between the TB and the air box. Checked the oil level and it was pretty dry. Added oil but the car still wouldn't stay running. Thoughts, ideas? It's on a tow truck right now. I tried to get it to start and stay on 3 times, each time it sounded worse and wanted to turn over less so I just stopped and called the truck. She must not have used :amsoil:.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Nah you mentioned that, I was just wondering. That is probably the most common issue with those cars, junk gm's. Maybe there's a "low oil pressure" kill switch that doesn't let the car run. :dunno: Maybe it has to be reset? Disconnect the battery maybe?

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
Nah you mentioned that, I was just wondering. That is probably the most common issue with those cars, junk gm's. Maybe there's a "low oil pressure" kill switch that doesn't let the car run. :dunno: Maybe it has to be reset? Disconnect the battery maybe?

Will give that a shot in the morning. I tried to get it to start and stay on 3 times, each time it sounded worse and wanted to turn over less so I just stopped and called the truck.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Oil pumps usually never fail, so i doubt that. It's impossible to help diagnose like this, would need pictures of said fluid and listen to the car when you try to start it. In order to help more you would need a much more in depth detailed explanation. You kinda keep adding things as you go along...

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
Oil pumps usually never fail, so i doubt that. It's impossible to help diagnose like this, would need pictures of said fluid and listen to the car when you try to start it. In order to help more you would need a much more in depth detailed explanation. You kinda keep adding things as you go along...

Sorry, should've been clearer in the beginning. I'm done adding now though, that's about it.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
GTwolf it's a Sunfire, they're prone to EVERY odd electrical problem under the sun. I've spent the last few months chasing down codes and swapping out parts in my girlfriends 99 Sunfire and I STILL can't get the warning lights to stay off and it still drives like crap, it's a Sunfire.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
GTwolf it's a Sunfire, they're prone to EVERY odd electrical problem under the sun. I've spent the last few months chasing down codes and swapping out parts in my girlfriends 99 Sunfire and I STILL can't get the warning lights to stay off and it still drives like crap, it's a Sunfire.

Yeah they're basically cavaliers with a sporty design. I know they're not the best, but shit I was hoping the engine wouldn't blow after a year.

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
May 17, 2010
West Bend, WI
2.2 Eco.... Probably the oil filter cap leaking if its soaked over there, unless somehting went through the side of the engine. And, on those, unless there is 0 oil pressure it should fire up. Light should turn off after a few cranks or start to flicker, indicating healthy oil pressure. If it's going off whether blinking or completely while cranking, and it still won't start, engine is smoked. Can't rebuild it unless you want to press in new CI cylinder sleeves.

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
May 17, 2010
West Bend, WI
If the light stays on with cranking, still probably toast as there is nothing to build pressure up with in the engine from wearing out.

EDIT: Best step to take, in the AM, grab a compression tester or leakdown tester, and check the compression. Should be in 120-150 range usually for those, if its significantly lower, most likely the rings suffered the lack of oil.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
If the light stays on with cranking, still probably toast as there is nothing to build pressure up with in the engine from wearing out.

EDIT: Best step to take, in the AM, grab a compression tester or leakdown tester, and check the compression. Should be in 120-150 range usually for those, if its significantly lower, most likely the rings suffered the lack of oil.

I'm trying to remember if it was on while cranking or not...but will definitely hit it with the compression tester in the morning. Thanks!

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
2.2 Eco.... Probably the oil filter cap leaking if its soaked over there

bingo. i've seen the oil filter caps crack and piss oil everywhere. chances are whoever changed the oil last over tightened it, and cracked the housing.
how much oil have you put in so far? have you filled it until it's to the full mark?
IIRC the ecotech pcms dont shut down the car when the oil pressure gets too low.
does the engine crank slow? when it starts is it really noisy? have you tried giving it a little throttle to keep it running?
i would suggest making sure the oil is full and the battery has a good charge in it. if it cranks at normal speed, try holding the pedal to the floor. it might be flooded

the ecotechs i've done a compression test on usually read 190-220 :dunno:
if the compression is low, try pouring a bit of trans fluid into each cylinder. this will sometimes get the rings to re-seat. after letting the fluid sit in the cylinders crank the engine over without the plugs in to blow out the trans fluid. then re-test the compression

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
2005 Pontiac Sunfire. 2.2 Ecotec engine. Automatic trans. Other than that base model. Maybe I'll post ass shot after car is diagnosed. :wackit:

low oil which lead to____________________

So about those ass shots :dunno:

But seriously, From what I've read the older OHV's are fairly beefy as far as surviving low oil, I don't think the ecotec's take kindly to it, something probably got starved.

DOC-Z

Chickun maka LOUSY housspaat!
Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
low oil which lead to____________________

So about those ass shots :dunno:

But seriously, From what I've read the older OHV's are fairly beefy as far as surviving low oil, I don't think the ecotec's take kindly to it, something probably got starved.

Perhaps make it look like she's working on the car? :) My $.02

Anyway, I know you have the 2.2, but my sister had a Sunfire GT with the 2.4 Litre. There would be small oil spots when she parked on the drivers side of the car and it was ALWAYS low on oil. Turns out she had a gasket leak on the drivers side of the car. All the factory used was some orange liquid gasket stuff to make the seal. When it let go, it spewed oil while she was driving. When she stopped, there was almost nothing, just a few drips.

However, It sounds like E had it. Check the ompression. No compression means new motor. Sorry man. Maybe next time she should stop for tea when the teapot light comes back on. I say, get her a Starbuck's card (just in case this happens again).

"...AND ALWAYS CARRY AN EXTRA QUART" says --> :amsoil:

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Hellraiser are you a mechanic in DeKalb? Just wondering because my girlfriend had her Sunfire in for rear brakes and a cooling fan and the guy she talked to (I want to say it was Car Medics or Car Doctor or something like that) said he has or had a Sunfire. Just wondering because the guy was really nice to her, explained everything and answered all her odd questions.

The car would not even turn over if it was kill switch equiped and working properly. Once low oil pressure is detected it kills power to the fuel pump so it would not run at all.

ohhhhh, well then the motor is probably toast. yuck.

Yup.

Yeah they're basically cavaliers with a sporty design. I know they're not the best, but shit I was hoping the engine wouldn't blow after a year.

What do you expect, if she ran it bone dry? No engine can tolerate that for long. She probably blew the main bearing and camshafts bearing and lobes/lifters.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info