press the clutch all way but wont go in gear?

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Dammit. I wrote a whole thing and tapatalk crashed.

It sounds like it's leaking so it no longer has pressure. I'd check the reservoir and see how much fluid was lost and look for any signs of a leak on the hoses/lines.

You could try bleeding it but it'll probably be a temp fix. Usually the procedure is similar to bleeding brakes.

E

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
State of Confusion
Real Name
E
Any ideas to get the car at least home?

My friend drove my car to his house when mine failed and this is what he did.

1) Put the car in first gear (engine off)
2) Start the car while in gear and the starter will act like the engine till you get moving.
3) Rev match

you'll have to cut the engine at any full stop and do it all over again obviously.

I wish you luck

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Shut the car off and see if it goes into gear. That will tell you if it's just a matter of the clutch not dis-engaging. Assuming that's the case then you need to figure out why.

Does the car have a hydraulically assisted pedal or is it just a straight cable? I would imagine a Cavalier would just have a straight pedal/ cable setup. Follow it to the trans and see if it's engaging there. This used to be a common problem on the V6 SHOs and it typically indicated a bad throw-out bearing.

E

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
State of Confusion
Real Name
E
Thanks E. Her Dad got the car home. She said it was making all kinds of noises. He's not going to look at it today and I'm not sure if ill get there when there's day light today. Thanks the all the info so far guys.

How did he get it home?
I can't see how it would make "all kinds of noise" if it was just the clutch line.
Unless he did what i suggested and what she heard was him rev matching and missing/grinding gears. :noes: :rofl:

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
iirc the newer cars are all concentric slave cylinders (throwout bearing/slave are one unit) it may be a good idea to toss a clutch in it dep on the miles

feel on the inside above the clutch where it goes into the master and check for a leak there...you may have to pull the carpet back as when they leak they will drain down under the carpet/sound deadening
then pull the insp cover off and look inside the bellhousing

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info