No Fuel/No Start

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Just looking for input on troubleshooting tips for a no fuel no start condition.

This is for my 98 ranger, I cleaned up some wiring, but none that had any connection to the fuel system that I was aware of while I had the manifolds off.

Key to on, pump makes no noise, no pressure at rail, but I hear the relay click over.

So things I've checked:
Fuse
Relay
the factory 'cut off' switch

Truck has sat for about 3 months, Anyone seen a pump that failed just from sitting unused for a few months....?

Beyond that, all I can think of is if there is a bad ground/connection somewhere to the chassis harness, any other ideas or have I covered everything...?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Keep us up to date. A girl at work has like an 00 ranger 4x4 and it had a security issue. Turned out to be the key chip not being recognized by the ignition.

The security light flash at all with it disabled?

My 00 has the chip, my 98 doesn't, but the ECU is an 01 explorer and normally would be looking for the PATS, and if it doesn't see it, it cuts the pump, but will let you crank all day long... I used my sniper tuner last season to disable PATS from the 01 ECU, and it worked perfectly all last year... but who knows what may have been reset or become corrupted I suppose...

I don't honestly know if these trucks even have a security light to be honest...

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I would make sure none of your fuel system wireing didn't get pulled out of a connector or something and isn't loose. I had a similar problem years back replaced a bunch of crap and I ended up finding a loose wire under the wire loom. If the pump relay is actually kicking on and the pump is not, then it might be a bad pump. If you have a spare pump laying around you could swap it real quick and see if it works. If the replacement pump works you now know it is the pump...if not you just saved yourself some money but will have to look for the wire problem.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I would make sure none of your fuel system wireing didn't get pulled out of a connector or something and isn't loose. I had a similar problem years back replaced a bunch of crap and I ended up finding a loose wire under the wire loom. If the pump relay is actually kicking on and the pump is not, then it might be a bad pump. If you have a spare pump laying around you could swap it real quick and see if it works. If the replacement pump works you now know it is the pump...if not you just saved yourself some money but will have to look for the wire problem.

You actually answered the question I was going to ask next.

If the relay is clicking, and the pump isn't priming, that would imply wiring after the fuse box, and/or the pump, and that is all thats left...

I will install the Walbro this weekend probably when its a bit warmer and cross my fingers :)

lets take it the the basic okay no fuel check not pressure check pump does not run check. realy is getting power the to high side and closing the switch check. have you checked power coming out of the really and if they really clicks and you know your relay is getting power check power at your fuel pump if you have power there then your pump has gone bad and yes i have heard of pumps going bad just from sitting. i had to do one in my trans am at the barn i store it at cause for some forsacone reason it just went blah. so again every thing up to relay is good so from there back is your problem it could be a bad short to ground or wire could be pinched. it could be all sorts of thing just check your pump if it has power and if it does then replace pump and if it works thats awsome and your up and running again hope this helps

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
You actually answered the question I was going to ask next.

If the relay is clicking, and the pump isn't priming, that would imply wiring after the fuse box, and/or the pump, and that is all thats left...

I will install the Walbro this weekend probably when its a bit warmer and cross my fingers :)

Yup, exactly what I was implying. Others beat me to it, but yeah...get a multimeter and check those voltages. You might find just one wire is screwed and not have to replace the pump at all, just one wire.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
YES BUT IF YOU DONT HAVE B+ AT THE PUMP CONNECTOR, IT STILL WONT WORK... YOU COULD HAVE A SHORT CIRCUIT SOMEWHERE OR A BAD GROUND OR THE RELAY COULD BE BAD EVEN THOUGH ITS CLICKING. ITS GENERALLY A BAD PRACTICE TO REPLACE PARTS UNLESS YOU UNDERSTAND WHY THE 1ST ONE DOESNT WORK.

how is it bad practice if I bought the pump 2 weeks before I found out that I have a no start/no fuel condition...?

I agree with what you are saying, but I'm just stating that I'm going to replace it anyways since it needs a higher flowing unit, so I might as well to rule out the variable.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info