GTR Owners

Krash7051

Addict
Jan 20, 2011
So I've been debating casting aside my idea of buying a shelby and started eyeballing the R35. I just had a couple questions for GTR owners.

1. Have you put any mods on yours, and are they incredibly expensive to modify?

2. Any issues with the car in stock form or is there anything you wish you would have known about it before purchasing it?

I don't think I would DD either, but it wouldn't sit in the garage forever either.

I'm looking to buy either the Shelby or GTR around Christmas time when I come home on R&R from Afghanistan, (I'm a DOD contractor). Just trying to get the info from actual owners vs. reading google searches.

Thanks in advance.

Eddie

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?act=idx is your new best friend.

if you're looking at one by december, pick up a 2012 if you can. but you'll pay like an extra 10k difference between the 2010 / 2011.

the only real issue that people will bring up is the transmission. some folks have run into problems w/ them but its definitely not the norm (mostly from launching the car over and over. nissan has "remedied" that by lowering the launch control rpm). also, for daily driving, some complain the trans is a bit loud and jerky.

i do not own one...but i am obsessed with them and have ridden in 2.

mods are going to be expensive depending on what you wanna do. you CAN run 10s tune only but doing exhaust & a tune pretty much guarantee it.

hit up AMS or any of the vendors on NAGTROC to see various parts, etc.

OneBadGTR

R35/ZR-1
Mar 9, 2010
Bloomingdale
So I've been debating casting aside my idea of buying a shelby and started eyeballing the R35. I just had a couple questions for GTR owners.

1. Have you put any mods on yours, and are they incredibly expensive to modify?

2. Any issues with the car in stock form or is there anything you wish you would have known about it before purchasing it?

I don't think I would DD either, but it wouldn't sit in the garage forever either.

I'm looking to buy either the Shelby or GTR around Christmas time when I come home on R&R from Afghanistan, (I'm a DOD contractor). Just trying to get the info from actual owners vs. reading google searches.

Thanks in advance.

Eddie

I run a mid 10 1/4 mile....lightly modded....

Mods are not crazy expensive if you buy from the right vendors.

No issues with car being stock. However, I would not recommended either of those cars as daily drivers.... (GT500 or GTR)

OneBadGTR

R35/ZR-1
Mar 9, 2010
Bloomingdale
im sure it could be done-- just not preferable.
The maintenance costs on those cars is pretty bad. But obviously, you pay to play.

Maintenance isnt bad at all. Not sure where you got that from. Only things thats expensive is every 10k miles the trans fluid and diff fluid is $800. Otherwise the oil change is regular cost.... Takes 5.5 Qts costs about $70 and I do it myself. No reason for the stealership, its easy to change. I like doing all of that stuff by myself... Even did the trans and diff bymyself..

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
May 28, 2008
Maintenance isnt bad at all. Not sure where you got that from.
Well, I got that from reading an article or two indicating the higher cost of maintaining the GTR. I remember they got charged over $2k for oils and filter change :rofl:
Like you said, the trans and diff fluid certainly arent cheap. Nice to see you do it on your own however, that obviously helps cut costs quite a bit.

Well, I got that from reading an article or two indicating the higher cost of maintaining the GTR. I remember they got charged over $2k for oils and filter change :rofl:
Like you said, the trans and diff fluid certainly arent cheap. Nice to see you do it on your own however, that obviously helps cut costs quite a bit.

If you go to any dealership for any car you will pay an inflated price. The Gtr is just another reason for the dealership to justify price. $800 to do it by yourself or $1200 at the dealership. I personally don't mind doing it because I know its done right....

Again though it's a super car and if you compare the gtrs maintenance to other super cars it's still not as bad...

KAR

Rip Riski
Jan 4, 2010
Elk Grove
Rough Ride.....The suspension is extremely tight, the way it should be however driving daily would probably drive you insane...

Rough ride depends on the person, my car is a rough ride to probably 90% of people yet I daily drive my car. Can it get annoying at times? Yes but that's price I pay for having a lowered car. Actually in fact anyone with a lowered car has a rougher ride then what it was stock so it all depends on what a person can put up with.

Krash7051

Addict
Jan 20, 2011
Thanks for the heads up, glad to hear theres not much issue with it. I've been reading some horror stories about the transmission detonating if you try to launch it or at least that was a problem with the early 2009 models. I'm eyeballing a 2011 premium but if I can come across an earlier one for the right price that had it's required services I may pull the trigger.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info