What the hell is this noise and should i be worried?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Ive owned the Evo since October and since day one ive been concerned with the trans...it already has an aftermarket cluch in it (we're assuming exedy due to the purple casing but thats not a sure thing) and i already had it to mitsu once to work on the transfer case but they said everything else trans wise looked good (but u cant trust them anyway).

pretty much since i bought this ive had this noise (heard in vid below) that only comes on when i'm engaging the clutch and its basically at the friction point. i always thought it was audible inside but apparently its very audible outside as well....the trans under normal driving is a total bitch. its either smooth as hell (rarely) or hard to get into gear (tho thats mostly when i'm downshifting). i'm not exactly sure what this noise is...if its normal...if its not...if i should be worried....dunno...thoughts?

starts about 5 seconds in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo06RT9TD6A

WhiteDevil

Armed
Jan 5, 2008
Aint normal, sounds like you are having some heavy friction going on, Is it an exposed clutch or do you have it covered? Might want to take the cover off and see if anything comes out, even heavy dust.

Where do you take it? BIGGERS? they arent that bad there, actually decent dealerships on 19

James

TCG Elite Member
Jan 18, 2008
That is nasty.

To help narrow it down....it's only evident during clutch "engagement" right.
So when the clutch is fully disengaged and fully engaged it's gone completely, right?

If yes to above...it's 100% the throwout bearing and/or a bent finger on the pressure plate.

It would be very bad if that was a driveshaft or lack of fluids....but let's not get ahead of ourselves. ;)

James

TCG Elite Member
Jan 18, 2008
fluids were changed recently so i'm 100% it cant be that....i take that back...99.9% since nothing is 100% in this world
You didn't answer my questions.:tear:

It's only evident during clutch "engagement" right.
So when the clutch is fully disengaged and fully engaged it's gone completely, right?

If yes to above...it's 100% the throwout bearing and/or a bent finger on the pressure plate.

Mickey

Look at those low rates!
Feb 13, 2008
Normal, IL
Real Name
Mickey Cole
That is nasty.

To help narrow it down....it's only evident during clutch "engagement" right.

It would be very bad if that was a driveshaft or lack of fluids....but let's not get ahead of ourselves. ;)

Wouldn't the throw out bearing make a noise any time it was disengaging the clutch if that was the problem? I think were not looking at a throw out bearing.

mook- When you have the pedal depressed does it make the noise all the time?

Mickey

Look at those low rates!
Feb 13, 2008
Normal, IL
Real Name
Mickey Cole

James

TCG Elite Member
Jan 18, 2008
Alright look Chico.

When a clutch is "engaging" the ONLY things coming into contact are the pressure plate and throwout bearing.

Once they are fully seated together (or not together) there is no movement (or possible friction).

It's not rocket science.

Mickey

Look at those low rates!
Feb 13, 2008
Normal, IL
Real Name
Mickey Cole
First of all we don't need u to try to make us feel like idiots. I know what I'm talking about.

He is complaining of a problem when the cutch is at its release point he hears a noise. NOT when he has his clutch foot to the floor. when his clutch foot is to the floor the throw out bearing pushes on the fingers of the pressure plate, releasing the clutch and trans from spinning with the motor.

Mickey

Look at those low rates!
Feb 13, 2008
Normal, IL
Real Name
Mickey Cole
Alright look Chico.

When a clutch is "engaging" the ONLY things coming into contact are the pressure plate and throwout bearing.

Once they are fully seated together (or not together) there is no movement (or possible friction).

It's not rocket science.

BTW when the clutch is engaging the the clutch is coming into contact with the pressure plate and flywheel so wtf are u talking about?

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
could be throwout bearing but i dont think so. i think the clutch you have is just not a stock upgrade or stage 1. id be willing to bet its more like a stage 2 or 3 or more which is going to have "chatter" or noise during engagement. i wouldnt worry too much

or it did the same thing my old act in the honda did and the clutch disc ate a quarter inch out of the pressure plate face

Mickey

Look at those low rates!
Feb 13, 2008
Normal, IL
Real Name
Mickey Cole
could be throwout bearing but i dont think so. i think the clutch you have is just not a stock upgrade or stage 1. id be willing to bet its more like a stage 2 or 3 or more which is going to have "chatter" or noise during engagement. i wouldnt worry too much

or it did the same thing my old act in the honda did and the clutch disc ate a quarter inch out of the pressure plate face

Thats what I thought too. I have expirienced clutch chatter before but a buddy of mine said it could be a hard spot in the clutch disc lining (like a hard spot in brake pads that cause a squeal). I think thats entirely possible but if you took it to a shop they would probably want to drop the trans to see whats going on anyway, in which case they could visually see what the hell was going on.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info