Anybody own/have direct experience with an 06+ civic?

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Specifically the EX but any experience is good.
Are they nice inside?
Is the dash as annoying as it looks or is it alright after you get used to it?
How's the factory navigation? Worth it?
How's the ride?
Any specific or common issues with it I should look for? I assume it's the usual Honda reliability.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Are they nice inside?

Compared to other 2006 compact cars, yes. Even five model years later it still holds up well against the competition without a redesign.

Is the dash as annoying as it looks or is it alright after you get used to it?
I never had a problem with it. I'm used to driving with a heads up display, and this dash configuration mimics that line of sight.

How's the factory navigation? Worth it?
Do you have a portable one? If so, I'd say no. Even when they got USB integration, it was tied to the nav system, and the USB integration isn't that good as far as navigating the ipod menu.

How's the ride?
Firm suspension and lots of road noise. The engine is a kind of a dog, too. Really have to keep the pedal floored if you want to pass or get somewhere in a hurry.

Any specific or common issues with it I should look for? I assume it's the usual Honda reliability.

There's a TSB out there about the coolant passages cracking and requiring a new block. This just happened to my buddy's gf's 2006 Civic, and Honda actually extended the engine warranty on 2006-2008 models because of this reoccurring problem.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
well i had an 07 SI for a year and i miss the fuck out of it. inside is nice where it counts but a few places are kinda cheesy. the dash is totally not annoying.... it looks like it would be but when you sit in it, it just kinda works. factory navi is godlike, honda has some of the bast navi systems in the business not to mention it also gives you a memory card slot where you can put your music instead of using an ipod. also if you are an XM subscriber it has weather updates and during sporting events, baseball for example, it has a live running score as well as a batting count and other stats on screen while its being announced. the newer models also have bluetooth for your phone and it works great. ive only ridden in 1 ex and it was a coupe and while compliant it suffers from a little but of the washboard effect on certain roads because of the short wheelbase. for a year of having mine and knowing 2 people with ex navis the only thing i could say is that my navi unit broke 2 times, but it was eventually replaced with an updated unit... apparently the wheelhop from launching at the dragstrip vibrated the navi dvd so hard inside that it contacted the lens and scratched it... but they finally gave me the updated unit and it never happened after that. oh yea, another cool thing you can do with the navi is use a custom "splashscreen" when it starts up instead of the honda logo.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I just threw out 06+ cause it's the same body style. Not sure how much they changed through the years

The two cars in particular I'm looking at are an 07 EX sedan with navi and an 08 EX coupe. Both auto :tear: (wife decided she doesn't want a manual)

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
my dad's got an 07 EX sedan (auto, no nav). it's been a great car. 60k problem free miles (no leaks or noises. just maintenance)
it rides surprisingly well, especially on the highway. the engine is smooth and quiet at speed
i actually really like the dash. it's different, but very well planned out.
plus, they've done away with the timing belt which is a huge plus IMO.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Hmm odd about the tire wear. I wonder if it's alignment related. Our focus had that problem originally but it turned out the acceptable range was real big. Actually had them zero out toe every alignment and it's been fine ever since.

I'll google it regardless

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
I installed in a couple with manual, and you don't need to gas it to move, you could in theory just release the clutch slowly, which you don't see too often in the smaller engines.... They seemed comfortable, I did notice the camber on the back "axle" though.

that's the great part about drive-by wire. computer sees that there's no change in APP % while the cluch is being let out, so automatically opens the throttle plate so the car wont buck
one of the few plus sides to DBW

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
one i dealt with had 8k without rotation on oem tires and both front and rear were feathered front more than rear, crossed both front and rear and it was noisy as hell for the test drive but hopefully it evened out for him. the other was a slave's fathers and had 4k on new potenza's directionals (iirc) and it had noise (orig complaint) from the tires fronts feathered way more than the rears but they were feathered a little too, i just went front to rear on that one and told him not to get directionals next time.

maybe just cross rotate em regularly

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Well we test drove it. Exterior and interior were very clean. It had near new tires that the insides were crazy feathered/cupped both front and rear. It felt terrible to drive with all the road noise and shaking. It also ticked quite a lot under the hood but it might have been injectors...not sure if that's normal or not.

It was also supposedly on hold with a deposit so the salesman was saying it would be gone tomorrow afternoon but we could buy it on the spot. Seemed a bit shady....

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
i've seen one 06+ civic come in with a nasty tick, and it was valve train related (fixed under warranty).

sounds like this car has some issues. do not want

Yea I was not ******d. Also seems like the TSB for it doesn't really fix it a people still have abnormal tire wear problems. TSB is for replacement of the rear control arms. I guess the geometry allows substantial toe in changes as the suspension compresses. :dunno:

I'm getting sick of car shopping :picard:

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
You guys check out the Kia Forte? I don't remember your price range but that's a quiet, comfortable compact with a ton of room. A little larger than the Civic. It's nothing mind blowing but a competitive alternative to the typical Civic/Corolla.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
You guys check out the Kia Forte? I don't remember your price range but that's a quiet, comfortable compact with a ton of room. A little larger than the Civic. It's nothing mind blowing but a competitive alternative to the typical Civic/Corolla.

Gary Lang is a Kia dealer actually. I was pretty impressed with the looks if the forte and optima. We didn't drive one or look inside but exterior they looked very nice.

I'd like to keep it around $12,500ish before taxes.
Are kia's any good now? They sucked ass many years ago (wifes father had like an 02 kia; horrible car) but the salesman said they were bought by Hyundai?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info