1969 Chevy Impala Brake upgrade

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knows anything about or could point me in a direction here.

Working on our 1969 Chevy Impala. It has four wheel drum brakes, manual master cylinder. They work, but they suck.

My buddy has a 72 nova which used to have full drum brakes too, but he has put on front discs and it stops like a champ.

I think he used knuckles off of a caprice or something and then there was some sort of kit.

I know this takes away from originality but it neeeeds to be safer and stop better.

Any info let me know. It needs all the ball joints and everything else as they are loose but I figure while it's all torn apart doing that I will upgrade.

thanks in advance!

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
didnt really read the website but there is a whole bunch of options.... you can go with bear, ssbc, wilwood, etc and get a upgrade, but gonna be pricey...or use either nova or s-10 brake conversions - s10 would be best being that the parts are easily accesable. i belive origianl parts group (opg) or one of those restoration type warehouses would have all the parts. good luck!

HILROD

TCG Elite Member
Oct 22, 2007
ELGIN
The impala's have a different spindle than camaro's and novas. You can get kits, like you posted, that work o.k, still a little small though. You can also get kits to upgrade to bigger front discs, using the stock hubs with the drums removed. Depends on how big of a wheel you'll be running up front.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info