Break-in and first oil change

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Well I've bought my first brand new car, and with it comes a lot of questions about maintenance and the like. First of all, I probably should've asked this questions 750 miles ago, but how does everyone break-in there car. I have heard take it easy for the first 300,500, or 1000 miles and I have also heard people say drive it like you stole it off the lot.

Second, the first oil change is not scheduled until 5000 miles. I have heard people say to change the original oil and filter within the first 500-1000 miles to get out any contaminants or anything else left behind from the manufacturing process. Now I would assume that the manufacturing processes at this day and age have gotten to a point where this wouldn't be necessary, but am I willing to take that risk. Am I going to hinder the break-in process by taking out that original oil? Isn't the original oil a special blend specifically made for engine break-ins?

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
either way, a ring seal is a ring seal... and im fairly confident that the engineer who designed the motor and that designed the oil monitoring system/ change oil light know more than jiffy lube saying "change your oil every 3000 miles" they tell you to change the oil when it needs it, not to help a company satisfy a quota

machausta

Slow VW driver
Sep 18, 2009
Eastern Tennessee

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
either way, a ring seal is a ring seal... and im fairly confident that the engineer who designed the motor and that designed the oil monitoring system/ change oil light know more than jiffy lube saying "change your oil every 3000 miles" they tell you to change the oil when it needs it, not to help a company satisfy a quota

:werd:

Changing every 3,000 miles is fairly bogus unless the OEM recommends doing such.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

This pretty much confirms this information.

This is the exact website I wish I had read BEFORE i bought and started to break in my car. Oh well, I've been driving it a lot harder, but not over doing it. Plus this car does not like to be wound up like most 4-cylinders, or I may just be used to the turbo motor. Just feels sluggish, then again I am gaining 200 pounds, losing 45 top end HP, and almost 70 lb/ft of torque.

As for the oil, I think I'll change it at 5000, like the service manual says. What I will do is go with synthetic at the first change, and keep with synth for the life of the car. I don't like changing synth every 5K on a new car and I'd like to go longer. I did it with the PT just for that little extra insurance so the turbo wouldn't blow up on me.

machausta

Slow VW driver
Sep 18, 2009
Eastern Tennessee
I DO NOT BUY FORDS

GovernmentMotors.jpg

Buy American.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I honestly have nothing against GM, they just didn't have anything that interested me at this point. I wanted a mid-size 4-door car with a stick. I wasn't going to wait around for the Cruze to get over that new design price bubble, and even then I would probably have gone with the new Focus. GM is definitely getting better, but the majority of their models are just old tired platforms that have some new sheetmetal, and interiors that are better, but are still light years behind Ford.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
the cruze eats civics and shits focuses.... anybody who says otherwise hasnt driven both

I am sure it does this focus is quite lackluster and I didn't even attempt to look at one, however I am talking 2012 Focus, and no one can say anything about it yet as no one has driven it. I am more than willing to admit the cruze is better after I have driven both, but that'll be some time

Well I've bought my first brand new car, and with it comes a lot of questions about maintenance and the like. First of all, I probably should've asked this questions 750 miles ago, but how does everyone break-in there car. I have heard take it easy for the first 300,500, or 1000 miles and I have also heard people say drive it like you stole it off the lot.

Second, the first oil change is not scheduled until 5000 miles. I have heard people say to change the original oil and filter within the first 500-1000 miles to get out any contaminants or anything else left behind from the manufacturing process. Now I would assume that the manufacturing processes at this day and age have gotten to a point where this wouldn't be necessary, but am I willing to take that risk. Am I going to hinder the break-in process by taking out that original oil? Isn't the original oil a special blend specifically made for engine break-ins?

I guess I like wasting $$$$. Everytime I bought a new car the plug got pulled and the filter got changed at 100, 500, 1000 and every 2,000 thereafter. Amuse yourself pull the plug on your oil asap, then drap an underwear type t-shirt over the funnel your pouring the dirty oil in. It will be covered in a fine silt once it all drains in. That is bearing material that slipped by your oil filter scraping away at your walls and rings.

Oil is a dollar or two a quart on sale and Menard's just had a sale on filter for $1,88 a piece. I stock up when there is a sale. If I am wrong I am out en extra hundred or so dollars over the course of the vehicles life, if the other guys are wrong they are buying an engine.

Hell thats how I got my rod knocking GTO on the cheap. The kid followed the long o.c. interval and beat on it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info