Jeep Problems.... Please Help

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Ok... So, my Jeep has been giving me alot of problems since I got it. Most recently, it decided it didn't want to start on me. After checking the relay's and obviously checked the battery level. Finally I just said screw it and I threw in a new starter and solonoid. Didn't solve the problem... I was only able to get it started by putting the key in the "run" position and jumping a spark to the starter solonoid (the old trick where you take a screwdriver and touch it to the positive and negative and get the starter to engage) What that tells me is....

-I'm getting power and ground to the starter
-The relay works
-The vehicle has power
-The starter and solonoid SHOULD be fine, considering it's brand new.

My CURRENT theories...
-Neuteral safety switch (makes sense and it doesnt, i tried starting it in neuteral and it didnt work)
-Ignition switch (also makes sense and it doesnt, could explain why it's not tripping, but also doesnt make snece cause the relay's click)
-Bad ground (but why would I be able to jump the starter to get the truck to start)

-From what I remember there is also another switch that controls the transmission

So, as you can all see, IDK what the fuck is going on with this thing.... Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated....

utryd2

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 3, 2009
North Aurora
What does it do when you are trying to start it? Is it clicking, cranking but not turning over, nothing, or is it hit or miss...sometimes cranks sometimes doesnt when you turn the ignition?

Are the wires to the starter hooked up correctly (check stupid things first) Ive seen it happen a few times.

Did you check chassis grounds for corrosion, that could be the cause for a hit or miss situation.

Check the battery cables/terminals. My brothers jeep had the same problem you have desribed and I put on a new neg cable to the battery and it fixed it. His was corroded.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
if you returned the NSS to the oem adjustment shift into N then try to start it, there's two paths in the nss P and N. park burns out in most failures so it will usually start just fine in Neutral i drove my lebaron for a year just shifting it into N to start lol

relay contacts may be bad, pull relay and use a paperclip to jump the leads see if that's it. check for a ground path on the starter (load) side of the relay i have had wires break internally or rub through down near the base of the dizzy or near the behousing

in which case just run a whole new wire and bypass the oem wire

JDHedman

" The Remote Start Guy "
Jun 5, 2009
Algonquin
is your key black or grey? if its not a grand cherokee it should be black iirc witch means you do not have an immobilizer system
12 VOLT CONSTANT PINK/BLACK (+) and RED (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
STARTER YELLOW (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
STARTER 2 N/A
IGNITION 1 DARK BLUE (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
IGNITION 2 BLACK/ORANGE (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS

you can try to hot wire it. that will tell you if its the ignition switch. just put power to ignitions and tap power to starter wire if it cranks its the switch
also test for resistance in your grounds. I have seen bad ground many times. just because you can jump the solenoid does not mean the cables are good.
I would put my money on a bad cable

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info