Chrysler LX platform owners

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
I took my dads 2006 300C into the shop today for a clunking noise in the left front suspension and some loose play in the steering. The shop that i take all of my families cars to replaced the tie rods on the left front. This solved the loose play in the steering and solved the noise when i brake.

But, the clunking is still there. It isn't present going over small bumps just going over big bumps and coming out of steep driveways. It almost seems like the suspension needs to be greased up. I dont drive it that often and don't have a good knowledge of it like i would if it was my own car. Can anyone help?

I'm going to bring it in to Discount tire to get the wheels rebalanced and if that doesn't help i'll bring it back to the shop in the afternoon.

Thanks,

Poops.

Poopshinanigans

Nov 18, 2007
i assume they did an alignment after the tie rods?
assuming that, the rest of the front end is tight. my first guess would be front swaybar end links just starting to get play.

they did a good job on the tie rod, just didn't fix my original problem. I've had bushings rot on me before in my last car and it made a similar noise.

I'm getting the tires rotated and rebalance because its free and my Dad never remembers to get it done.

I just want some other opinions so i can maybe give he mechanic a more precise area to look at.

UPDATE: The LX forums have some info. They say that even if the suspension doesn't have play in it, or the steering, that bushings can be cracked or severally worn on the control arms or tension strut. I don't know what a tension strut it.

Poopshinanigans

Nov 18, 2007
It's a mercedes platform, but I am sure Chrysler supplied the rubber bits because they use iron and steel stuff instead of the aluminum like in the MB

Don't say things like that. Its getting me mad at Scarsdale. I told them to give a looksie to the whole underside and see if anything was fishy. Maybe they need another look.

Poopshinanigans

Nov 18, 2007
I took my dads car in few times for a weird front end clunking. They replaced a bunch of shit but failed to fix the problem. Finally they found out it was something hitting the firewall. Not sure what it was. Sorry this post is not that much help.

Thats fine, i'll tell them to look around there too. I just don't want a ton of stuff replaced and have nothing to show for it.

Poopshinanigans

Nov 18, 2007
Does it clunk if you push up an down on the front end? Like on top of the strut towers?

i took the tech for a drive today and he definitely heard the noise i was talking about. I told him to take his time diagnosing it because i want it done right and i have no time constraints with needing the vehicle back. he was thinking end links at first, i'll probably hear from them tomorrow.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info