Removing mold from automotive carpet

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
My fiance has a 2003 Civic and the air conditioner drain got clogged, which caused water to leak into the passenger side footwell. I fixed the clog and its draining water under the car, but when I pulled the carpet up it was soaked. I was able to get the majority of the water out and propped the carpet up to air it out. I believe it was leaking for quite a while since the padding was drenched with water. Anyone have any hints/products/tricks on keeping mold from growing? I was thinking about spraying Lysol or a water/bleach concentrate on the padding. Thanks, Jason.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
I just went through this for someone. Doing it in the car is OK, but it's better to pull the carpet out if you can. If you are doing it in the car, you should pull the rubber drain plugs in the floor pan. Then hose out the carpeting, prop it up, and wait...for like 3 days for it to dry.

If you can pull out the carpeting, lay it in the driveway and hose it off; soaking it all the way through. I like a carpet brush and mild soap to get rid of any stains also. Laying it on the driveway it should only take a few hours to dry out.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I just went through this for someone. Doing it in the car is OK, but it's better to pull the carpet out if you can. If you are doing it in the car, you should pull the rubber drain plugs in the floor pan. Then hose out the carpeting, prop it up, and wait...for like 3 days for it to dry.

If you can pull out the carpeting, lay it in the driveway and hose it off; soaking it all the way through. I like a carpet brush and mild soap to get rid of any stains also. Laying it on the driveway it should only take a few hours to dry out.

I’d need to take the seats out, which is a bigger project. I basically pulled as much of the passenger carpet out of the trim. I them took a couple of towels and wiped all the water up from the metal floor board. After that I propped the carpet up and basically squeezed all of the remaining water out of the carpet padding/insulation. I kept it that way and instructed my fiance to keep the car out in sunlight. I am going to check that thread that Gav provided tonight and try to get some product to keep the mold from growing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info