Got a new dd...

red04regencyrst

Gearhead Hillbilly, and lovin every second of it!
Jan 21, 2008
Monee, IL
IMAG0004.jpg

More Pics

well, i finally found what i was looking for and for the price i wanted.

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX 71K 5-speed

joel,i know youll chime in, what should i do maintenance wise to the scoobie? what should i be on the lookout for?

where can i find factory parts (like interior pieces, ....)?

red04regencyrst

Gearhead Hillbilly, and lovin every second of it!
Jan 21, 2008
Monee, IL
looks fairly unmolested :bigthumb: nice find

it is very clean. aside from the alarm, radio and the front door speakers, its all stock. i have a nice 4 channel amp that im thinking of puttin in there and change out the stock rear door speakers, maybe add my two 10" jl subs to it.

is there anything i can do to net more fuel economy out of the car?

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I wouldn't waste the money on an access port when open source tunes are so cheap. A nice road tune is $150 from elevenpoint7five on nasioc. He's highly recommended. That will help fuel economy alot plus just keeping the revs down under 3k. I usually get like 27-28mpg with mixed driving. I'd also look into getting a catless uppipe even if keeping it stock.

Andy's screen name

As for interior parts and stock stuff I'd say check out both the local and national for sale sections on nasioc. People total cars all the time :rofl:

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
just a catless uppipe youy wont need a tune. its more of a safety thing vs performance. people have had the cat burn up and shoot parts through the turbo and into the engine.....not pretty.

for a downpipe, intake youll need a tune. you could get away with a stock downpipe and an aftermarket catback with a stock tune. biggest gain in power will be in a 3" downpipe and a tune though.

passing emissions is as easy as unchecking some boxes just like hpt. ive actually got a tactrix cable and software and a basemap i could put on your car if you do a full exhaust. its just a mailorder tune but its been working flawlessly on my car. let me know what you do.

oh and I got my erz catless downpipe on ebay for $100. catless uppipe was $50 on ebay. my catback was another $180....:rofl: all works great.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
for the diff, pretty much any brand gear oil will work. for the trans you should stick to either the oem fluid from subaru or use a good synthetic like motul. the 5 speed can be finicky with some fluids. id stick to the stock ngk iridium plugs and either just a paper air filter or a k&n drop in.

for engine oil i use rotella synthetic T6 5w40 because of the high zinc content and its fairly cheap at $20 a gallon. anything good will work though. :dunno:

bluzohh6

The system works
Jul 2, 2007
Elgin, IL
I heard use nothing but Subaru Fluids only. A member here on the board is an engineer for an automotive company. He owns an STI and said there is something with the Subaru lube, I can't remember what exactly, and something with the diffs and clutches, where he would only ever run Subaru Fluid in his car. But he was saying the diff fluid is really important, but almost impossible to find here unless you buy a large amount

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
:rofl: yea subaru extra-s gear oil is only sold in a 5 gallon drum. i just go to the subaru dealer with an empty jug and beg for them to sell quarts. they usually do.

i tried running some amsoil trans fluid and it would grind if i shifted even remotely fast. drained it after 100 miles and put extra-s in and it was back to buttery smooth.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
and to answer your question Bryant i have no clue on a price range but id say mid teens for a nice 06 rex. 04-05 wrx's are usually around low teens for a nice one.

sickmint79 is selling his 05 sti (best year IMO) for a good price. youll get the better 6 speed and bigger turbo over an 06 wrx.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Its a cheap fix; just a bit time consuming. You need to dissassemble them and regrease them.

An old school 2.5rs is nearly impossible to find in good shape and they have head gasket problems.

Honestly if you want cheap, reliable and still some fun get a 04+ 2.5rs. They're cheap, less likely to be abused and do all the same things a Wrx will do just with less hp.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info