Anybody have any first hand experience with the Honda fit?

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
So were in the market for a new car and my wife likes the Honda fit sport (07-08 most likely). We test drove one yesterday and it seems nice (I didn't drive it) but this actual car wasn't great.

Anybody have any first hand experience or know someone who has one? From what I can find it seems to be a solid little car and the only complaints I've seen are silly like no center arm rest or dead pedal on the manual.

JHMGD38677S020708-1c.jpg

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
And that's why I'm looking for actual experience. Sure driving it around the block it felt fine but this is most likely a car that we will have for 5+ years.

Does it suck for long distance travel?
Do you almost die merging onto the highway?
Does the 5 speed auto suck?
How's the radio? (seemed very integrated in the dash)

vroom

Regular
Jul 9, 2009
My grandfather has had one for about 3-4 years, he uses it to tow behind his RV. I have driven it a couple times and it seems like a very sturdy car. He had the paddle shifters which made it seem pretty peppy and sporty, for a 4 cyl it definitely does OK. We also used it on multiple gravel/dirt roads in Glacier National Park, Montana and it wasn't a nice ride but the thing handled the rough terrain just fine.

hope this helps

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
TCG Premium
Jun 9, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
You can haul a ton of shit in these little things (was using 2 of the moving this weekend) my friend likes hers but complains a bit that it is pretty slow. it handles very nicely as well. The front seats are pretty comfortable but the back seats are rather flat and kinda hard. Ride quality isnt super high, but I guess I have limited exposure.

Seems to be a sturdy little car. her is a metallic/electric blue and its a damn cool color.

her sister has the newer generation, and supposedly there is not a whole lot of difference other than the style.

she might come up to lukes with me again if you wanna talk to her about it lol

Theautoguy

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2007
Machesney Park, IL
I looked real hard at a Fit back in 08' but decided to look at a Versa and saw the Sentra while I was there. The Sentra is not much larger on the outside as the Fit and Versa but the interior space is HUGE! That and it rides very well and gets good mileage.

I ended up buying an 07' Corolla only because they hold their value better and I got a smoking deal on it but the Sentra was a better riding and driving car. Avoid the 07' models as they didn't have anti-lock brakes or cruise.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I like the new ones a lot. Solid little cars. Like Dennis mentioned, they can fit a lot of gear for their size. They are kinda noisy as far as road and engine noise, but that just comes with the sport package that they are. Handles great but can beat you up on longer trips. The redesign wasn't a huge one but there's better visibility and a more room on the inside than the old ones. Front headroom, rear legroom and cargo room were all increased for 2009.

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
My g/fs dad just bought one in the winter and has put on like 10k miles already

pulls high 30s for MPG easily and loves it, he came from an old saturn station wagon L series or whatever

its a nice little car, TONs of room for how small it is outside and with the second row being able to fold/move, can fit some decent sized objects for moving... also its got a great view out the front with how the windshield is sweeping and the front windows are

nice car overall imho

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I looked real hard at a Fit back in 08' but decided to look at a Versa and saw the Sentra while I was there. The Sentra is not much larger on the outside as the Fit and Versa but the interior space is HUGE! That and it rides very well and gets good mileage.

I ended up buying an 07' Corolla only because they hold their value better and I got a smoking deal on it but the Sentra was a better riding and driving car. Avoid the 07' models as they didn't have anti-lock brakes or cruise.

Umm the 07 we drove yesterday had cruise control :dunno: pretty sure it had ABS too....

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I for sure want the sport package. Flappy paddle ftw?

The one yesterday was almost a winner. White 07 sport with 26k miles and the manager said $11,900 down from 13.9 without even talks of trade ins. Too bad it smelled like smoke and had some stupid pinstripe down the sides.

Theautoguy

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2007
Machesney Park, IL
Umm, ...I was looking at the Sentra 2.0S, ABS and cruise was in an option package that quite a few used 2.0S models didn't have and was a pain at the time to verify. (Everyone thought they had ABS but didn't.) The 08' models (new at the time) had those options standard.

But hey, I'm sorry for chiming in with what I thought was something helpfull. It seems you're looking at the same cars I was at the time and for whatever its worth, you can't go wrong with any of what you mentioned.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
my dad was looking at these not to long ago. ive driven a few and would highly recommend this car.
it's a solid car that's relatively comfortable (more so than anything else in it's class)
yeah, it's slow...but it has enough to get out of it's own way.
it's a honda....it will run forever if you maintain it....
he ended up getting an 07 civic, but the fit was a close second.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Umm, ...I was looking at the Sentra 2.0S, ABS and cruise was in an option package that quite a few used 2.0S models didn't have and was a pain at the time to verify. (Everyone thought they had ABS but didn't.) The 08' models (new at the time) had those options standard.

But hey, I'm sorry for chiming in with what I thought was something helpfull. It seems you're looking at the same cars I was at the time and for whatever its worth, you can't go wrong with any of what you mentioned.
It's all good. The sport has those things standard even in 07. I'm not really a Toyota or Nissan fan.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Pulling the radio out of the dash is a b$#%... the clips decide to let go the second 3-4 veins start popping out of your head.

Thats the only experience I have...lol
Yea it looks terrible. I'm hoping the stocker is good enough quality. It has an aux input and mp3 cd player so it should be alright

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info