Body shop gone way over estimate...what would you do?

shortoncash

Apr 14, 2010
Well, first off ill tell you that I am a member of this forum and have been for a while. But for now id like to remain anonymous as well as keep all parties involved anonymous. Im not trying to start shit thats why im not throwing names out there. So please if your Sherlock Holmes and figured out who I am or what shop it is please just leave it out of this thread. I just want an honest unbiased opinion or any options you might know of to help me in this situation. Ill try to keep it short and to the point.

I dropped my car off at a reputable shop for some repair work. The owner was helpful in working with me since the repairs were coming out of my pocket. I originally got an estimate of around $3300 to fix the car. The owner allowed me to purchase some parts to reduce the cost of the repairs which would of helped me alot. So I purchased some parts and had them sent to the shop which reduced the estimate cost close to $2500. I was told the cost estimate might be a little higher depending on how well they could match the paint. If they had to blend/fade the paint further then it might go up a little to cover those costs. I was fine with that.

I then ran into some problems, had to use some of the cash i had saved to fix the car for something else and left the car at their shop for a while..well a long while. The shop never called me so I figured they didnt mind. When i finally got the cash together I called them up and said lets get her fixed! So thats when the work started.

I was then called and told I needed some parts to complete the job. these were hood hinges. I OK'd this purchase and the car was on its way to being finished.

Fast forward a bit. No communication with the shop so I call and ask them how things are going. The owner tells me the car is almost done and is going to paint by the end of the week. Cool I think. So I ask the owner where were at on the cost at the moment since i knew they had to get those hood hinges. I just wanted to make sure i kept enough in the bank to cover it.

Then i get the bomb dropped on me. His first words are. "Ohh we got alot into this" I then tell him that the estimate I have was for $3300, minus the $800 or so I reduced it by sending him parts. Then I get "Ohh yea were way over that now." What?...how?

So now after all this I have to come up with more money, but wait it gets better. Then he tells me they had to buy a radiator (which of course is a becool..which costs like 400 bucks) then he said they had to buy a battery, and other misc parts that I dont even know what they are yet. Then he tells me they had to buy the Hood latch and catch for the car. Which wasnt on the estimate because I told them i didnt want them. I wanted to pin the hood. The owner even told me i the beginning that he had a good pin kit that he used all the time. But now i have a new hood latch and catch and no pins.

Now all these extra parts add up quick. And I was never notified that these purchases were being made for my car. Not once did someone call me and tell me I needed extra parts. If they would of called me I would of got a radiator and a battery and other parts myself and brought them in to the shop for them.

So now im wondering what to do...I still dont have a final cost of the repairs yet but numbers have been tossed out which are double the original estimate. I know their are some laws that prevent this type of thing from happening, and that it is unlawful for a shop to go over an estimate by 10% without contacting the owner.

Im trying to be calm about this and hopefully will be able to work with the owner to come to some type of agreement. but im not sure how that is going to go. I dont have the cash to pay for it all. I have more then enough to cover the original estimate but never imagined it could possibly be double what was quoted.

Im just wondering what you would do or any info you have for a situation like this.

What would you do in this situation? :dunno:

SHOmuff

Doing the damn thing.
Oct 22, 2007
Wheaton
nose.gif

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
Do you have an actual written estimate? If so then you have a legal standing. If not then there is nothing you can do.

Quote from the Illinois Legal Aid Website:
Q: Am I entitled to a written estimate before a body shop can start repairs on my car? Before I choose a body shop, I want to know my rights so Iā€™m not charged more than I expected.

A: Youā€™re entitled to a written estimate for any repairs over $100. Two kinds of estimates are possible: parts & labor, plus 10%; or a maximum price. Youā€™re also entitled to a final written invoice when work is completed.

The Automotive Collision Repair Act went into effect in 2004. Itā€™s patterned after the Automotive Repair Act, which dates back to 1998. The Collision Repair Act makes it clear that body shops have to do the same kind of estimates as mechanical repair shops.

The newer Collision Repair Act applies to shops ā€œin the business of cosmetic repair, structural repair, or refinishing motor vehicles with defect related to accident or collision.ā€

Both laws are very similar, with some minor differences. Therefore, the following applies to both body shops and mechanical repair shops.

The basics of whatā€™s required: written disclosure of your right to a written estimate; a written estimate; your written OK of any repairs; and a final written invoice when repairs are done.

Youā€™re entitled to a written estimate for any repair ā€œthat exceeds $100.ā€ If you donā€™t want a written estimate, you must decline it in writing.

Actually, youā€™re entitled to both a written estimate, and a written disclosure of your right to a written estimate. Often, theyā€™ll be combined into one document.

The disclosure of your right to a written estimate must offer three choices. You sign by the desired choice. The choices are: (1) ā€œI request an estimate in writing before you begin repairs;ā€ (2) ā€œPlease proceed with repairs but call me for approval before continuing if the price exceeds $___;ā€ (3) ā€œI do not want an estimate.ā€

Option (1) gets you a labor & parts estimate, with a 10% fudge factor. It basically sets a maximum price at 110% of the estimate. Option (2) sets a maximum price, stated as a specific dollar limit. Option (3) sets no limit, and obligates you to pay whatever is charged.

Youā€™re supposed to get the written estimate before any work begins. When you get the estimate, the law says you can: OK the estimate in writing, or ask for your car back ā€œin a disassembled state.ā€

If an estimate ā€œis insufficient because of unforeseen circumstances,ā€ you can orally OK cost overruns. The shop must then make a written note on both the written estimate and final invoice of the date and time of your oral OK, and of your name and phone number.

ā€œOn completion of repairs,ā€ youā€™re entitled to a final, written, itemized, legible invoice. That invoice must show the shopā€™s name and address; your name; and your vehicleā€™s odometer reading, type & VIN. It must also identify ā€œeach major part supplied,ā€ and the ā€œtotal price.ā€ The ā€œtotal priceā€ means at least parts, labor, and sales tax, but may not include things like storage fees.

The law doesnā€™t have a lot of teeth if a shop doesnā€™t comply. They canā€™t charge more than an estimated price, or claim a lien on your vehicle, and could be liable under the Consumer Fraud Act for ā€œpersistentā€ violations of the law. Some argue that violations of similar disclosure laws mean a merchant canā€™t charge you anything. But to make that argument, youā€™d probably have to pay, and sue to recover the overcharge.

Hope this helps.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
If the car requires additional parts/repairs the shop should have called you and got those approved before they did them. Same if you were going through insurance. You will need to pay in full before they will release the car. Not sure what you can do besides talking and working out a deal with the owner if you don't want to get involved legally.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info