Dodge 2.7 litre motor

SilentShado

303 HP+315 ft lbs = 1 GXP with 2 bald bridgestones
Apr 3, 2009
Mchenry, IL
Anyone know anything about these motors? My friend called and said that his 2001 dodge stratus was not running. I stopped by pulled the codes and found a dead camshaft position sensor. I poped a new sensor in and it fired right up. The only problem is after you get off idle it sounds like a tin can full of marbles. Someone said that it could be the valves smashing into the piston. Any ideas?

SilentShado

Apr 3, 2009
Mchenry, IL
Motor have to come out to access the timing cover on the stratus? Also he was complaining before this happened the temp was fine be he was not getting heat. Also all cylinders have 155 compression except cylinder 3 only has 125. Bent valve/s from chain?

I already removed the valve covers on the car doesn't appear sludged up as I have read about.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
I don't believe valves could be bent if there is good compression... Someone else can verify that.

The major problems with the 2.7 come from the valve chain. I don't believe you have to pull the motor to get to that, but do have to go through a front tire well to get to it.

What year stratus?

SilentShado

Apr 3, 2009
Mchenry, IL
129k miles. I heard about problems with the water pump, which is connected to the timing chain. So I figured it could be that, although no coolant in oil, and coolant level is correct. I'm gonna take the front wheel off and the splash guard tonight, then take off the power steering ect. to get to the timing cover. Might as well install a new chain and tensioners and see if that fixes it. With 100+ k miles might as well anyway.

SilentShado

Apr 3, 2009
Mchenry, IL
Timing chain appears loose, could this just be the tensioner or is it the chain stretched out. I am going to replace both but I would rather only change 1 of the above mentioned items if need be. Thanks for everyone input so far. BTW if anyone is in mchenry and wants to double check my work I would appreciate it :)

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
eh, it's not that bad of a motor... definately not meant for the bigger cars DC is putting them in... And DC fixed the sludging problem in later 02 models.

Just needs some booooost. :)

I do recall a lengthy thread where Angus was swearing up and down that the 2.7l was a half decent motor. I think it took like 20 pages for him to realize the truth.

Still think it's a half-decent motor.

And BS to used synthetic, changed every 2k miles and still sludged...

Problem with the motor was that it needed a better/higher maintenance level than what a family sedan should need. If you ran full synthetic and religiously changed it every 3k miles, you'd be fine. But does/did that happen in the real world? no.

I pulled my valve covers off many times to check for sludging and never saw any trace of it while I owned the car. Never had any problems till my boost went catastrophically lean...
The rigorous maintenance required to avoid sludging was this motor's downfall...

SilentShado

Apr 3, 2009
Mchenry, IL
Ok it appears I will be dropping the motor down the bottom to get to theses damn bolts for the chain cover. Now here is a stupid question. It seems that the timing is correct as it runs perfectly just noisey. Can't I just take the chain off where it is at now, and just replace with the new chain, wtf does it matter where the colored links end up. Or am I stuck trying to align colored links and arrows? Also sorry so long winded but do I need to remove the camshaft sprockets to install this chain? Any help appreciated.

SilentShado

Apr 3, 2009
Mchenry, IL
First off thanks to everyone that has helped me so far. Now one more question before I put this thing back together. The chain guide seems loose to me, if you look at the picture if I reach behind the bolt on the guide I can pull the guide toward that bolt almost 3/4". Is it made to float like that or is it worn and need replacement? Thanks again for all the help, this one has just kicked my ass, I'm gonna think twice before I work on one of these again

Attachments

• chain guide2.JPG
    chain guide2.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 25
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info