Nissan GT-R Owner Voids Warranty, Grenades $36K Engine

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I hate when I grenade my $36,000 engine with a blacklisted warranty! :eek4:

Nissan GT-R Owner Voids Warranty, Grenades $36K Engine

A member over at NAGTROC made the mistake of modifying his Nissan GT-R engine while it was still under its temperamental warranty. So, when he then broke the cylinder block, he was completely screwed. How it happened, plus pictures, below.

If you'll remember, Nissan's already a bit finicky when it comes to the warranty on the GT-R. But once you start modifying the car in any way — that already-less-than-stellar warranty becomes about as useful as poison ivy when you're looking to wipe your ass.

You can read his description of what happened below and share your theory. For what's it's worth, he thinks he ran the wrong software for the fuel he was putting in his car in Lebanon.

http://jalopnik.com/5461280/nissan-gt+r-owner-voids-warranty-grenades-36k-engine/gallery/

Frank Dukes

TCG Elite Member
May 5, 2009
Rockfordia
missing oil change records and they void the warranty? :fu:

truth.org

apparently the vq40e (a bored out vq35) is prone to timing chain problems.. they released a new borg warner timing chain set that is supposed to fix the problem. i went to try and make this happen and was promptly shot down. I have yet to actually have a problem with the truck and i dont hear any timing chain tick but i was hoping to pre-emptively get this changed without it costing me an arm and a leg.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
That's pretty standard, IIRC. With most automakers you'll need to provide proof of maintenance with certain issues if you don't get service done at the dealership. DIY receipts of oil and filter purchases, or quick oil change receipts count.

Terrible. This just makes me MORE happy that I don't waste money on "brand new" cars. Automakers are getting so damn picky anymore. Why pay a premium if you don't really gain all that much?

New car smell is not worth it to me. :s00ls:

Frank Dukes

TCG Elite Member
May 5, 2009
Rockfordia
it doesnt really bother me all that much.. trucks been nothing but good to me in the 5k or so ive put on it so far. Was not misrepresented as having a warranty when i purchased. thought i would try and sure enough they told me same thing dealer i bought it from.. couple missing oil change entries and poof goes the warranty. they also tried selling me an extended to the tune of 1800 dollars no interest for 18 months. I'll take my chances.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info