Camry 4 banger owners, or people that have worked on them....

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I was changing the plugs in my moms and sisters 4 banger Camrys'. My moms had one plug that just sat in the head and spun and spun. Wouldnt come out, wouldnt tighten. This is an 01 Camry with 125K miles. I just ASSumed that it was stripped and would have to remove the head. Not that big of a deal now, so onto the back burner it goes.

Go over to my sisters car. That thing had 2 plugs that did the same thing. Wont come out. Wont tighten. Just spins. This is a 97 with 117K miles.

Is this common? I just have a hard time believing that this happens a lot. This has never happened to any other car I have done plug changes in.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Original plugs. Probably could be spun by hand, but I needed a 6 inch extension ontop of the plug socket to reach them. I couldnt get the needle nose pliers I had far enough down to get them. The plugs on these are pretty deep into the head.

Upside, is that they are on top of the engine. Easy plug changes if they come out. :rofl:

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Original plugs. Probably could be spun by hand, but I needed a 6 inch extension ontop of the plug socket to reach them. I couldnt get the needle nose pliers I had far enough down to get them. The plugs on these are pretty deep into the head.

Upside, is that they are on top of the engine. Easy plug changes if they come out. :rofl:

for sure... alot easier than my old regal and the formula for sure... try and see if you can spin the plug and socket by hand... if you can i'd say it's probably broken... if it was stripped out and sitting in there you couldent spin it that easilly without it popping out under a normal piston stroke

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Yeah, it definetely sounds as if the plug is broken. There's got to be a tool to remove them, especially if it's that common of a problem. Otherwise you'd have to remove the head and that just seems almost silly. You might try drilling and tapping the plug but ceramic has a tendency to shatter and that won't end pretty either way.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info