Anyone here do alignments?

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
I have a 2000 GTP I need aligned. Has a few issues:
Car is lowered about 1.5". Fronts are riding the inside of the tire. I'd like to be cheap and slot the struts instead of camber bolts (want to make sure that's OK first). I changed the geometry of the trailing arm by dropping the front mount. This pushes the rear tires back a scosh, and the tires point out a little. Is there generally much adjustment to bring it back in?

Anyway, looking to skip the tire shop (because I don't like average joe's working on a modified car), I would rather trow a few bucks towards a club member to do it.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
I still need to know from someone that does it if it's OK for me to slot the struts.

the older knuckles had slots in the knuckle upper strut bolt hole but they also had an adjusting bolt that pushed on the strut bolt, i wouldnt slot the struts since both ways to grind em oval would leave you vulnerable to hitting a big pothole and having it slip back to neg camber, but since your like me, just grind it till they sit perfect and weld in the inboard end/regrind :pedobear:

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
the older knuckles had slots in the knuckle upper strut bolt hole but they also had an adjusting bolt that pushed on the strut bolt, i wouldnt slot the struts since both ways to grind em oval would leave you vulnerable to hitting a big pothole and having it slip back to neg camber, but since your like me, just grind it till they sit perfect and weld in the inboard end/regrind :pedobear:

Yeah, I like that idea. I will probably just slot one bolt and add an adjusting bolt. Tripod...

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Yeah, I like that idea. I will probably just slot one bolt and add an adjusting bolt. Tripod...
took me a bit but i found an old pick of the trofeo struts in the back of the 442, you can see the bolt that pushes against the strut bolt, the strut doesnt have the slot the knuckle does

i dont know how much meat youll have for the bolt but it's worth a shot
IMG_4959.jpg

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Ron i bet at the worst you have 1.5* of camber, this is not enough to wear the tires so uneven you would notice unless you're spinning them, which in that case they will wear very uneven :dunno: If you just get the toe fixed the wear difference will be less than 1/32 provided the tires aren't spun or locked up. I had 4.4* of camber on my s2000 for ever (track setup alignment on a DD car FTW) and the tires wore very even, however, after 1 quick parking lot doughnut(s) there was a 6/32 difference from inside to outside. :eek:

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
That's a pretty nifty idea right there.
GM got away from that since that bolt tends to seize in the knuckle on the older cars, when they went to the interferance fit strut bolts and camber/caster were no longer adjustable, i had to fart with them damn bolts way tooo many times lol

hey ron fuckit just elongate the strut mount holes and move the strut outward lol

do ya have a good level? cut a good 2x4 to fit your rim lip and see how far off buble you are....

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
GM got away from that since that bolt tends to seize in the knuckle on the older cars, when they went to the interferance fit strut bolts and camber/caster were no longer adjustable, i had to fart with them damn bolts way tooo many times lol

hey ron fuckit just elongate the strut mount holes and move the strut outward lol

do ya have a good level? cut a good 2x4 to fit your rim lip and see how far off buble you are....

I have several good levels. I'll give it a shot when the car is done (I'm bringing the looks back).
I was hoping to have it on the road tonight; but after my progress today...I'm thinking Monday.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info