NASA TT Autobahn South Track (in car video)

chris101

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2009
Mt. Prospect, IL
Real Name
yes
set a track record for TTE on Saturday and then again on Sunday...

Final best time was a 1:43.077 in TTE

Car is rated 140hp at the crank (engine has 109k miles on it)
Weight of car is 2781
Transmission is stock LSD 1995 Infiniti G20 5speed
Tires in front are 225 45 15 hoosiers and 205 50 15 hoosiers in back.

chris101

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2009
Mt. Prospect, IL
Real Name
yes
actually, you can take the same race lines as a Spec miata to ultimately be faster BUT the difference is with AWD is you can get away with worse lines is all ;) ...end result is slower times though :(

The difference with AWD is your turn in points might be a little bit later as well as your braking points (I used to drive an EVO RS in a track setting so I know all about the better/faster response and higher HP cars.. heck, monday I drove a student's Viper around for 3 laps on the full track so I can get into any car and drive the same line!)

Next time your at an AMS event, stop by and I'll be happy to go out with you and walk you through some better lines (I'm at every AMS event as an instructor BTW and we are there to help you!) I have the #50 spec miata (am usually the only only female instructor) and my husband drives the G20, Miata or his Mustang depending on what we are in the mood to bring to the track that day.

I run 1:45s in my tired old spec miata (its got a stock 80k mile engine, is overweight by 87 pounds and running on 9 year old worn out suspension so it is not a front runner unless its a rainy day where hp isn't going to give the built miatas an advantage)

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i should probably have grabbed you for part of the day when i parked next to you guys then. it was my first track day in over a year so i was feeling pretty rusty to begin with. 2nd session was way better than 1st and the rest of the day i felt pretty good about, i was pretty confident at the end of the day in being around where i was before. i know the last time i did south i didn't break 1:47 so i guess i'm no better or worse at this point. i actually think i was turning those laps a little more consistently than the last time i was there.

as a side note, i think AMS days would benefit from forcing novices to take an instructor with them during their first session. every other AMS day i was at i went out with a novice for the first session and had them come ride with me in my first session. i'm no instructor by any means but i am sure i helped plenty vs. just being thrown out there and told to drive fast!

chris101

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2009
Mt. Prospect, IL
Real Name
yes
I'm kept busy with students thoughout the day but the interesting thing about AMS is the people who ask for instructors end up being the fastest by the end of the day (and most eager to learn/easy to teach)

What tends to happen at times when people are 'forced' to have an instructor is they may not want, and won't listen anyway so it becomes frustrating for the instructor and 'student' so there is no easy answer to the driver/instructor pairing... (some people go to AMS because they aren't forced to have an instructor for example)

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i would think one session and for the novice group is pretty unobtrusive though, and whether they think it or not i'm sure 99 out of 100 need it. i think you ran in the intermediate group some of the day and i'm sure it was obvious to you there that some people really needed to work a lot on their braking/lines there (even more than me ;p )

i was at AMS's first track day, and autobahn track staff stopped the event twice before my group even had a chance to drive. i think the painful initial history is what put in the strict all-off rules that they have now. things certainly have improved since then of course. last one was a lot of fun and appeared to go smoothly for everyone, nobody went home on a trailer they didn't arrive with, yay!

chris101

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2009
Mt. Prospect, IL
Real Name
yes
yes indeed, AMS has come a long way from that 1st event with the carnage ('CAR-nage') <-- haha..

but yeah, my hubby and I were sharing the miata so we had to split running between advanced and intermediate and I agree that many could do so much better with instructor pointers for a session (but there are still egos to contend with ;) ) ...so yeah....

chris101

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2009
Mt. Prospect, IL
Real Name
yes
1:17s sounds like the North track (not the south track)

because even the high HP cars were getting 1:30s on the south track and the record this sunny weekend with NASA was 1:30.7.

I find it rather difficult to believe you got solid 1:17s on the south track in a Z3!

At any rate, here is the last 3 minute video I have from the South track.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/NASA-Time-Trial-at-CC_697213.htm

BTW: My times on the NORTH track in my spec miata are also solid 1:17s FWIW

Solid 1:17s in my friends Z3 on the south track is a hoot in a ride a long.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• chris101
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list