power window help!!

kingcobra

kingcobra
Oct 5, 2008
Naperville
Real Name
Jason
Hey guys
My little sister has a 1998 v6 firebird and the power windows stopped working.. went down but didnt come back up... the car sat for the evening and she tried to roll them up with success.. but once agian.. they are stuck, now in the up position. When they stop working.. and you operate the switch. the radio screen goes blank for a moment then turns back on.. Any ideas on what could be causing this? thanks ~Jason

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
Usually things to check is the ground wires. In the older F-body's the window switches were on the center console. The switches switch the ground side of the motors so if the wire is corroded both switches will not work correctly. (I don't know if the newer F-body's have the window switches in the center.) The reason the radio display blanked is because it needs more current to get past the resistance created by the corrosion. The electrical system gets loaded down and if the battery voltage drops below 10V the radio display will turn off. You are probably drawing a lot of current for a second so the display "blinks"

To locate the problem I would check to make sure one side of the window switch has 12V. If it has less, Then the problem is in the fuse box, window motor, or wires. If the voltage is fine, Then ohm from the other side of the switch to ground. You should have less than 4 ohms. If it is higher, Then the ground wire is corroded or the wire is damaged.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info