Broken

mustangin98

Regular
Oct 30, 2008
Naperville
Real Name
Alex
so i was driving through Wisconsin and i was about 20 min away from my buddies house and i start to hear a knocking noise and my oil pressure gauge started fluttering. i drove it home like this the whole 200 miles cause AAA wanted like $500 to tow it.when i got back i changed the oil and sea foamed it but no luck i think that i spun a bearing. Anyone have any ideas

I am going to pull the motor out this week and see.

does anyone have any experience with this issue???? i am thinking of putting a stage 3 stoker kit (low compression)

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
doesnt insurance cover being towed? up to a certain amount?

Insurance only covers you for something like the first 35mi @ a discounted rate, then everything past that is still on you.

Oil pressure drop + knock isn't good. I'd be willing to bet you spun a bearing. Good luck with the repairs and post up some pics when you pull the pan.

Smoke

Addict
Feb 11, 2009
i am just hoping there is no damage to the block or crank

The combination of weird oil pressure+knock points to a bearing failure.

If you drop the pan and confirm this is the issue, the motor's better off being replaced from a cost effective standpoint .By running the motor with a spun bearing metal particles from the failed bearing have been pumped all over the motor via the oil system , so youll need to verify that theres no debris inside the motor before you fix it.

And speaking of fixing it,youll need to change all 8 bearings and likely will need to replace the crank. Ive heard of people re-using the crank and using oversize bearings, but thats if the crank hasnt been damaged badly.By running it the miles you have to get it home the crank is probably DOA.

BUT, the silver lining is that now is the time to drop in a built motor or build up the one you have if its determined the block can be re-used. It MAY be a good idea to pick up a beater and park the 'stang until you save some $$ for a build.

Good luck, and post pics of the results!

-Smoke

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Smoke, if you spin a bearing, you have to take the crank in and get it turned .010 over so you can run over sized bearings. Those .001-.002 bearings are a crock of shit, cuz if your motor is bad enough to knock, the crank is going to be chewed.

Pull the motor out, disassemble, tank any parts going back into the new engine, fix the broken junk, reassemble.

Smoke

Addict
Feb 11, 2009
Smoke, if you spin a bearing, you have to take the crank in and get it turned .010 over so you can run over sized bearings. Those .001-.002 bearings are a crock of shit, cuz if your motor is bad enough to knock, the crank is going to be chewed.

Pull the motor out, disassemble, tank any parts going back into the new engine, fix the broken junk, reassemble.

^^^^QFT

Just do new crank, pistons, forged rods, the works. Since its gonna be expensive either way , may as well do it right and get a faster car out of it all. Dont re-use any bottom end parts to save costs, youll just have to tear it back down again.

yea as said if you spun a bearing your crank with be fucked up. the block should be okay as long as your pistons did bust a ring land or something and score the cylinder walls.

why do a low comp stroker? do you have a blower to go on? if your gonna stay NA do a high comp then. 12.0 can be safe in a 4.6 with 93.

the strokers in those cars arnt really worth the money from what i read up on.

mustangin98

Regular
Oct 30, 2008
Naperville
Real Name
Alex
i apprectiate all the advice and i am deffinently at least gonna get the crank turned at least hopefully depending on the size of my tax refund i want to get the stroke kit and put a ported eaton blower on it but... it all depends and i am for sure pulling the motor just to clean it all and inspect for what could cause future problems

Thank,Alex

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
its gonna cost a pretty penny buddy, i hope you know. you cant just slap an eaton on. they dont mock up to the 2v heads. youll needs some kind of converter plates, which it Reichard Racing makes, to make them fit on the 2 intake ports. not 100% sure tho. then youll need map sensors, fuel supporting mods, tuning.

x2

Do not waste your time with building a 2V stroker or trying to put an Eaton on the car.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info