Chicago Potholes + Lowered RX8 = Cracked Subframe?

Renesis07

Forum Sponsor
Mar 10, 2009
Mundelein IL
Well, after hitting a few of these "craters" out here in lovely Lake County I started to hear a popping noise from the front end of the car. Figured I blew a strut or broke an endlink and didnt think too much of it.

Well I just got it into the dealership I work at for them to raise it up and take a look around to see what the damage is. All I hear is "aw shit man your frame is cracked!" .

Where the control arm meets the subframe, there is a gigantic crack! If I hadn't caught this in time, it wouldve completely snapped resulting in 1 less wheel and 1 less RX8 in existence.

Overall, quoted 2500-3000 to repair from the dealership but I found a mechanic thatll do the repair for 1000 installed. Need to replace the entire subframe and control arm.

My mechanic welded it back together for now to hold me over until I get my funds together for the repair ( weld was $200). This means no drag-racing, auto-x, or random kills until the subframe is repaired. This sucks, just in time for Spring.

Moral of the story, fuck potholes. That's it, just wanted to share my latest catastrophy.

SilentShado

303 HP+315 ft lbs = 1 GXP with 2 bald bridgestones
Apr 3, 2009
Mchenry, IL
Sorry to hear that buddy, not for anything but have you looked into having the county reimburse you for your repairs. I know I saw it on the news that if you take pictures of the damage, pics of the pothole, and a estimate you can file a claim for reimbursement. Might want to look into it, what can it hurt if you get some cash back from them bastards. Let me know if it works out for ya. Again sorry to hear

Renesis07

Forum Sponsor
Mar 10, 2009
Mundelein IL
Im not exactly sure when or where it happened to be honest. It just started making a popping noise one day. Another thing to note, when he found the crack, it was where the alignment bolt was. The alignment bolt had no nut on it. Meaning the bolt was just unsecured.

We're not sure at this point if the last time I had an alignment they forgot to put it on or if it rattled off.

Our suspicion is that someone didnt tighten that bolt and the vibrations combined with these roads out here caused the damage.

I would file a police report but I dont really have my ducks in a row. There wasnt really a solid "BOOM" oh shit this pothole fucked my car up. It was more of a pop pop as I came to a stop and me not thinking anything about it. My car has 80K on it and its lowered, I just figured I broke an endlink which is common among lowered RX8s.

More than likely, someone fucked me over by not securing that bolt. Good thing it just cracked the frame, if that bolt had rattled out, my control arm wouldve broke loose.

Renesis07

Forum Sponsor
Mar 10, 2009
Mundelein IL
no pics, I left work early and brought it straight to my mechanic to have the crack welded. The weld should hold up for a while however my handling capabilities are literally cut in half.

I'm going to start hitting up junk yards and what-not to see if I can find a used one. Im also posting at rx8club.com where I have over 3500 posts. The best Ive seen was 550 for the subframe, 200 for the control arm.

If anyone here is comfortable working on an RX8, let me know, I can use all the help I can get!

Mickey

Look at those low rates!
Feb 13, 2008
Normal, IL
Real Name
Mickey Cole
Mickey,

I see you have some import experience, would you be willing to help me out with this project once I get the parts?

Dude, I wish I could help. I would gladly do that for you but I'm now living in Normal which is 2 hours away from you. I would have no problem with replacing your subframe and giving your car a thorough test drive :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info