Body Shop Guys: Rust Repair

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I've got some rust growing in the trunk lid and wanted to give a shot a fixing it myself. Just looking to learn a new skill, and also fix the trunk rust of course.

So where do I even start? Materials? Process? Is it complicated?

Anyone have any thorough tutorials or how-to guides on basic rust repair? I don't need it to be perfect or even sightly, which is why I'm starting in the trunk. So when I mess it up no one will see the botched repair job.

0225090751.jpg

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I've also got some rust under the gas door, which seems to be a common problem. A lot of water has seeped into the trunk over the years as well. Before going to Cordova last year I was cleaning my trunk and checking the spare when I found a few gallons of water under the spare tire. Good thing I took it out before I raced. Weight reduction FTW.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I'm not really worried about the rust in the lid, I'm just looking to learn something new so if the rust pops up anywhere else I could fix it then. Maybe I'll just pick up a few things at Advance Auto, go to town and see what happens.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
yea just grind/sand as much as you can and just bondo it, prime and paint. theres not really any products you need to remove rust, its mostly grinding and sanding til ur happy or its gone or your tired and your hands are cramping. when you prep for paint is when u need cleaning agents. then just primer and paint. the hardest part is blending new paint to look like old paint

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I'll put some more serious thought into it once the weather gets consistently better, but it is something I'm going to want to tackle. For now I'll just wipe off the rust water that's running down the rear bumper :picard:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info