techs abuse car, dudes got cameras.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2307334&posted=1

My car was in the bodyshop after a minor fender bender. You may or may not remember, but my car has a dashcam. During the week they had it:

- Two of the techs driving it across the parking lot discussed "Would you rock this car? Do you wanna rock it?" "What if this camera is running?" "Oh. We're just joking!"

- Two other techs drove it across the lot (were supposed to move it 20', but took the long way - around the building) The driver mentioned that the clutch was like a racing clutch, then he floored up to redline in first through the parking lot. Then he said words to the effect of; "I'm sorry, I'm going to have to do this..." and from what I could make out of the conversation he was planning to dump the clutch around the corner to get an all wheel peel. As he came around the corner he backed off for an oncoming car, pulled up alongside this car and spoke with the driver (the boss?), and as they drove away again the driver talked about it being a close call. Then they drove thought he lot again at WOT and talked about the turbo having no BOV. He proved this by revving it to redline a couple times in the parking space. The passenger joked about how funny it would be if the camera was on. Driver didn't think it would be funny. (I agree with the driver - not funny)

- Bodyshop manager accidentally backed the car into a pile of empty boxes someone had stacked in the doorway. No damage = no harm/no foul.

- Same two techs took it out onto the road for a 3 mile drive. I know that the alignment was checked as part of the repair work (The accident damaged the wheel) so this *may* be the after-alignment road test. Having said that, the driver floored it up to redline in first AND second as soon as he got onto the road. At that point I stopped watching the video and started burning it to a DVD so I can take it to the dealership's General Manager. It was more important that I go through the process of preserving the evidence than watching it immediately. Kinda like putting up police tape around a crime scene.

So, I still have to watch the rest of this 'road test' (Top Gear style, apparently) and then check another two car journeys listed in the DVR.

Funny thing is, this WOT 'road test' (with the two giggling prepubescent techs thrashing $18k of my hard-earned money around the streets) happened at about lunchtime today. When I arrived at the bodyshop at 5pm to pick the car up they said it was "out on the road test from the alignment". The car only did 3 miles while in their custody so it's not like they were driving around for 5 hours. I wonder if they had the alignment tech do the road test at 5pm. If so, what legitimate reason did Beavis and Butt-Face have to even be out on the road, never mind burning up my clutch?

When I got the car home (and I drive like my grandad) my clutch REEKED. I suspect the rest of this road test (when I get to watch it) will be quite interesting. I also noted that when I arrived the camera mount in the front of the car had broken loose from the window (GPS suction cup) and been remounted in the wrong place. I hope they didn't do anything extreme enough to much the camera loose.... :-O

(*Side question to dealer techs: Is it normal to discuss such things as; "Do you wanna rock it?" when you would never, ever actually do something like that?
Why would they say that if it's something they would never actually do? Example: I would never mug an old granny - and therefore would never have reason to say to my friend; "Hey, there's an old granny... Want to mug her?")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfwfSzbr5Ac

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I think I heard about a valet tune that can be loaded for situations just like this. It would apply a 2k rpm limiter. I'd have to check with my tuner and/or SCT to see how easy/difficult it would be to put that in place. But I rarely valet the mustang, so it's not really a big deal.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I think I heard about a valet tune that can be loaded for situations just like this. It would apply a 2k rpm limiter. I'd have to check with my tuner and/or SCT to see how easy/difficult it would be to put that in place. But I rarely valet the mustang, so it's not really a big deal.

my caddy had a valet key that would cut fueling if tps got above something or something... you couldnt gun it to do anything. and it didnt work for the trunk or the glovebox.

i just never valet the pricks. (mainly cuz my key solenoid is broked and the key doesnt release from the car unless you hit the dinger. )

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
my caddy had a valet key that would cut fueling if tps got above something or something... you couldnt gun it to do anything. and it didnt work for the trunk or the glovebox.

My Grand Marquis has a valet key, but it only locks out the trunk/glove box. You can step on the pedal as much as you like. But it's not a car people like to beat on, that's for damn sure.

epik_x

Addict
Jun 22, 2008
Elgin
I can almost assure you those guys got fired. A guy over at Valley almost got fired for just messing with this guys sound system.

I certainly hope so. Stupid assholes need to realize that you dont need to pop the hood to "inspect" anything, when all you are hired to do is patch a fucking tire. Then drain my battery and then play stupid, damn I hate NTB.

/end rant.

Mickey

Look at those low rates!
Feb 13, 2008
Normal, IL
Real Name
Mickey Cole
I certainly hope so. Stupid assholes need to realize that you dont need to pop the hood to "inspect" anything, when all you are hired to do is patch a fucking tire. Then drain my battery and then play stupid, damn I hate NTB.

/end rant.

Actually... Some douche nozzle in a CRX came in to the dealership. We inspect the battery of every car that comes in. So my friend Jeremy pops the hood and tests the battery. This clown was pissed. "I didn't give you permission to touch my car." We do it as a courtesy along with filling any fluids necessary. Of course he had a built motor and blah blag blah. :ford: replace the Ford with Honda.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Shit like that is exactly why I work on my own car.

Unless you do body work for a living, you have to go to a shop to get a car fixed after an accident.

too bad they didn't redline sools face

Not to get too far OT, but is this comment really needed?? Way to fuel some fire MR. Admin.

epik_x

Addict
Jun 22, 2008
Elgin
Actually... Some douche nozzle in a CRX came in to the dealership. We inspect the battery of every car that comes in. So my friend Jeremy pops the hood and tests the battery. This clown was pissed. "I didn't give you permission to touch my car." We do it as a courtesy along with filling any fluids necessary. Of course he had a built motor and blah blag blah. :ford: replace the Ford with Honda.

Courtesy is all fine and dandy, but I wont hold it against any shop if my windshield wiper fluid isn't filled, or my battery isn't tested, as long as they properly do the work I came in for. Either way now that I know of these "courtesies" I specifically ask any shop I need to go into not to bother, especially with the experiences I've had.

Unless you do body work for a living, you have to go to a shop to get a car fixed after an accident.

Yes, sir. Although I was talking more along the lines of mechanical problems, but since this thread deals with body work my post was kinda irrelevant indeed.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info