Ford vs GM debate (summary) BIG PICTURE.jpg

NetChemica

Let me see your crack!
May 23, 2007
This is an unbiased source of the cars that were in recent discussions. I took this from Mitchell which shows the Technical Service Bulletins (articles on common problems and how to fix them).

Note that the more articles there are, the more common problems with the vehicle.

I included two different Fbodies (one a 5.7 and the other a 3.8). I also put up a mustang GT, and a GTP. All of which are the same year (2002) except the SHO, which is a mid 90's taurus with a sporty engine. Here's the outcome:

summary.jpg

01Cobra

Crawlin2vGT said:
common problems with that make and model or a car, so many problems that the dealership has to service that stuff under warranty.

only problem i have on mine that is a TSB is gear clash with the syncros when its cold out. but i also beat the shit out of the trans so they are gonna be like that anymore.

I remember my 5 speed did the same thing. All cars have issues and tsb's. Some have more some have less. Meh.

I think the 93 Taurus SHO I used to have had more TSB's than all of those listed combined.

NetChemica

Let me see your crack!
May 23, 2007
01Cobra said:
Crawlin2vGT said:
common problems with that make and model or a car, so many problems that the dealership has to service that stuff under warranty.

only problem i have on mine that is a TSB is gear clash with the syncros when its cold out. but i also beat the shit out of the trans so they are gonna be like that anymore.

I remember my 5 speed did the same thing. All cars have issues and tsb's. Some have more some have less. Meh.

I think the 93 Taurus SHO I used to have had more TSB's than all of those listed combined.

That's true, all cars with have problems that are common to that make and model. But just because all cars have TSB's out, doesn't mean that it's okay for them to. Just like sickness.

Mr Baytchos

TCG Elite Member
Jul 8, 2007
Cortland, IL
Real Name
Anthony
Do you even know what a TSB is? Those numbers arent all problems with the cars....TSB's are used to help with doing anything with the car...whether it be a problem or just an easier way to do some sort of general maintaining.....

T: Technical
S: Service
B: Bulletin

tech·ni·cal (těk'nĭ-kəl) Pronunciation Key
adj.
Of, relating to, or derived from technique.

serv·ice1 /ˈsɜrvɪs/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[sur-vis] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, adjective, verb, -iced, -ic·ing.
–noun 1. an act of helpful activity; help; aid: to do someone a service.
2. the providing or a provider of accommodation and activities required by the public, as maintenance, repair, etc.: The manufacturer guarantees service and parts.

bul·le·tin /ˈbʊlɪtn, -tɪn/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[bool-i-tn, -tin] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, -tined, -tin·ing.
–noun 1. a brief account or statement, as of news or events, issued for the information of the public.

NetChemica

Let me see your crack!
May 23, 2007
Mr Baytchos said:
Do you even know what a TSB is? Those numbers arent all problems with the cars....TSB's are used to help with doing anything with the car...whether it be a problem or just an easier way to do some sort of general maintaining.....

T: Technical
S: Service
B: Bulletin

tech·ni·cal (těk'nĭ-kəl) Pronunciation Key
adj.
Of, relating to, or derived from technique.

serv·ice1 /ˈsɜrvɪs/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[sur-vis] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, adjective, verb, -iced, -ic·ing.
–noun 1. an act of helpful activity; help; aid: to do someone a service.
2. the providing or a provider of accommodation and activities required by the public, as maintenance, repair, etc.: The manufacturer guarantees service and parts.

bul·le·tin /ˈbʊlɪtn, -tɪn/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[bool-i-tn, -tin] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, -tined, -tin·ing.
–noun 1. a brief account or statement, as of news or events, issued for the information of the public.

One way or another, it's bad.

one /wÊŒn/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[wuhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. being or amounting to a single unit or individual or entire thing, item, or object rather than two or more; a single: one woman; one nation; one piece of cake.
2. being a person, thing, or individual instance or member of a number, kind, group, or category indicated: one member of the party.
3. existing, acting, or considered as a single unit, entity, or individual..

way1 /weɪ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[wey] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. manner, mode, or fashion: a new way of looking at a matter; to reply in a polite way.
2. characteristic or habitual manner: Her way is to work quietly and never complain.
3. a method, plan, or means for attaining a goal: to find a way to reduce costs.
4. a respect or particular: The plan is defective in several ways.
5. a direction or vicinity: Look this way. We're having a drought out our way.

or1 /ɔr; unstressed ər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[awr; unstressed er] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–conjunction
1. (used to connect words, phrases, or clauses representing alternatives): books or magazines; to be or not to be.
2. (used to connect alternative terms for the same thing): the Hawaiian, or Sandwich, Islands.
3. (used in correlation): either … or; or … or; whether … or.

an·oth·er /əˈnʌðər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[uh-nuhth-er] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. being one more or more of the same; further; additional: another piece of cake.
2. different; distinct; of a different period, place, or kind: at another time; another man.
3. very similar to; of the same kind or category as: What we need today is another Thomas Jefferson.

it1 /ɪt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[it] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation pronoun, nominative it, possessive its or (Obsolete or Dialect) it, objective it; plural nominative they, possessive their or theirs, objective them; noun
–pronoun
1. (used to represent an inanimate thing understood, previously mentioned, about to be mentioned, or present in the immediate context): It has whitewall tires and red upholstery. You can't tell a book by its cover.
2. (used to represent a person or animal understood, previously mentioned, or about to be mentioned whose gender is unknown or disregarded): It was the largest ever caught off the Florida coast. Who was it? It was John. The horse had its saddle on.
3. (used to represent a group understood or previously mentioned): The judge told the jury it must decide two issues.
4. (used to represent a concept or abstract idea understood or previously stated): It all started with Adam and Eve. He has been taught to believe it all his life.

is /ɪz/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[iz] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb
1. 3rd pers. sing. pres. indic. of be.
—Idiom
2. as is. as1 (def. 25).

bad1 /bæd/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[bad] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation adjective, worse, worst; (Slang) bad·der, bad·dest for 36; noun; adverb
–adjective
1. not good in any manner or degree.
2. having a wicked or evil character; morally reprehensible: There is no such thing as a bad boy.
3. of poor or inferior quality; defective; deficient: a bad diamond; a bad spark plug.
4. inadequate or below standard; not satisfactory for use: bad heating; Living conditions in some areas are very bad.
5. inaccurate, incorrect, or faulty: a bad guess.

NetChemica

Let me see your crack!
May 23, 2007
Mr Baytchos said:
Not always.....my car has a tsb for the dealer to put caps on the headlight adjusters so people dont try it themselves.....I dont really see that as bad....there just trying to stop the owner from fucking up the headlights

A.K.A. these are a bitch to install, do it at the dealership cause it's really easy to fuck up

Mr Baytchos

TCG Elite Member
Jul 8, 2007
Cortland, IL
Real Name
Anthony
NetChemica said:
Mr Baytchos said:
Not always.....my car has a tsb for the dealer to put caps on the headlight adjusters so people dont try it themselves.....I dont really see that as bad....there just trying to stop the owner from fucking up the headlights

A.K.A. these are a bitch to install, do it at the dealership cause it's really easy to fuck up

Yeah thats what it means.....its a fucking cap for a screw head.....but I'm sorry....I forgot all mustang owners are all knowing and that ford make the greatest motors and cars in the world.....my bad

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I've had TSBs pop up for stuff like "Do not use this fluid" and such, so they're not all problems, that's for sure. Plus, SHOs were much lower-volume production cars than the others listed, so I'd expect them to have a lower number of TSBs.

Edit: The Mustangs have been a surprisingly reliable car in reliability tests by J.D. Power and such. I've got no beef there.

TSBs can also be updated technical specifications and torque specs as well.

Some from my car:

"REVISED OUTER TIE ROD END NUT TIGHTENING SPECIFICATION/TIE ROD END JAM NUT TIGHTENING SPECIFICATION ADDED."

"CHANGES TO LABOR TIME GUIDE RELATING TO FRONT SUSPENSION LABOR OPERATIONS COMPONENTS."

See the NHTSA's site for a list of TSBs:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/tsbsearch.cfm

Nasty93

Nasty93
Oct 17, 2007
The Unit
we have TSBs for updates.
No longer use dextron 3. use dex4 or what not

When resetting tire monitor use j-tool blah blah blah

TSBs dont mean bad..

lets look at this another way.
TSBs show after engineering of cars.
making sure customers are satisfied and that there techs work on them correctly. those type of TSBs are good...

Either way. Ford is supposed to be going private in the next 5 years.

No matter what anyone says im a GM man, and im staying that way. Come with any fact you will and someone will have an argument or something for it.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I'm confused on why certain people have to justify their personal preference in a car. if you like fords; good for you. if you like GMs; good for you. if you like a fucking pedal car; good for you.

NetChemica - why do you feel the need to "prove" your car is so awesome?

you remind me of that kid in high school who keeps saying he's not gay and was always REALLY defensive if he was called gay.

then you see the kid after a few years and it turns out he really was gay....

just shut the fuck up about it already and go :jerkit: to your car instead of wasting your time with these dumb posts.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
TSBs are for the smallest of shit most of the time. If its hardcore, it is a recall. Which IMO Mustangs have more then LSX or 3800s as we debated this on ILGPC.

FWIW, a TSB was issued for the 04 GP for the plastic brackets that hold the headlights in place. The "fix" was to use metal ones. Plastic was used since it works so well on its sister car, the fuckin Regal.

So there goes your theory out the window.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info