Need help making choice

Mr Baytchos

TCG Elite Member
Jul 8, 2007
Cortland, IL
Real Name
Anthony
So ya'all should know my situation if not see here: http://www.thechicagogarage.org/viewtopic.php?t=2327
Anywho I have been looking for a 4 door car since the kids coming and I have to keep it under 20k. So I've been looking at the new sentras and they are pretty nice cars for the money. my dilema is should I go with a 2.0SL or the SE-R? the price fully loaded between the 2 is about the same. I've driven the SL and the power is pretty good for what it is. Nothing like my GTI but neither will the SE-R. So here are the differences between the 2:

2.0SL

2.0 liter 140HP/147lb-ft

CVT Transmission
16ā€ Alloys
front disc/rear drum
Steering wheel controls
Bluetooth phone system
Divide-n-hide trunk system
Trunk pass through

leather seats
rear seat armrest
60/40 folding rear seats

Pictures
2.0SL
sentra_03_800.jpg
sentra_02_800.jpg

SE-R
ser_02_800.jpg
ser_03_800.jpg

SE-R
2.5 liter 177HP/172lb-ft
High Flow Intake
Sport Tuned CVT/paddle shift
17ā€ Alloys
4 wheel disc
Sport springs
Smoked tails
Body kit
Rear spoiler
Chrome exhaust tips
2 pod meters(oil & G meter)
sport cloth seats
metallic interior accents

What's everyones thoughts?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I had a base Sentra for a rental once for an 1100-mile road trip. That CVT is one of the best in the business for sure. It wasn't as fun to drive as I thought it would, for a little car, and I'm sure the SE-R is better.

Mr Baytchos

TCG Elite Member
Jul 8, 2007
Cortland, IL
Real Name
Anthony
Yeah my biggest thing is you get some nicer comforts with the SL but the SE-R is prolly more fun to drive.

Oh and 1 more thing it is not the spec V im talking about. that only comes with stick and the wife is gonna need to drive this car. Andwith either one of these i will prolly get a summer fun car when me and the wife get settled in with jobs and what not.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Uhh, after the first year a slap of reality is going to hit you.

Don't bother buying a new car with kids, buy a decent used one. With $18K you can get a lot of used car.

Cars depreciate too fast to bother with buying new, you will have many unexpected expenses with a child. Getting stuck with a quickly depreciating car if you need to sell it will just stick you farther in the hole.

Kids don't keep things nice. The nice, new car you buy will look beat in a very short amount of time with a kid. Eating in the car, accidents...just going out runing errands around places you will have to go for with the kid will have other kids around...so expect door dings, etc.

When we had our first child, I wanted to get all new stuff...including furniture, toys, etc. It's really a bad idea. Trust me, keep your old crap...the kids will beat on it, save your money for when they get older and get nice stuff then.

All our crap is old, we get a lot of furniture secondhand even. Sounds ghetto, but you'll know what I'm talking about in 2-3 years.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Ron Vogel said:
Uhh, after the first year a slap of reality is going to hit you.

Don't bother buying a new car with kids, buy a decent used one. With $18K you can get a lot of used car.

Cars depreciate too fast to bother with buying new, you will have many unexpected expenses with a child. Getting stuck with a quickly depreciating car if you need to sell it will just stick you farther in the hole.

Kids don't keep things nice. The nice, new car you buy will look beat in a very short amount of time with a kid. Eating in the car, accidents...just going out runing errands around places you will have to go for with the kid will have other kids around...so expect door dings, etc.

When we had our first child, I wanted to get all new stuff...including furniture, toys, etc. It's really a bad idea. Trust me, keep your old crap...the kids will beat on it, save your money for when they get older and get nice stuff then.

All our crap is old, we get a lot of furniture secondhand even. Sounds ghetto, but you'll know what I'm talking about in 2-3 years.

QFT. My new couch that I bought in February barely resembles a couch that is less then a year old thanks to a year and a half year old.

bluzohh6

The system works
Jul 2, 2007
Elgin, IL
Pino you should look into a used tsx for 18, you can find them no problem. And the nice thing about honda is it doesn't matter how many miles it has on it, because they run forever, and if you are concerned about it then get an extended warranty up to 100k miles. Those cars are alot nicer than a sentra, and they come with leather which is a lot easier to clean than cloth

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info