Real Name
Mike
Godzilla versus Godzilla | 2018 Nissan GT-R meets R32 GT-R in Australia

Solid article.

aSCj2P7.jpg

Cliffs:

help

The best details, believe me

Driving the R32 Skyline GT-R and the R35 GT-R back-to-back demonstrates ample family ties. The difference: The R32 is easy, fun excellence, while the R35 is monstrously good. The 320-hp R32 Skyline GT-R — and its five-speed manual — begs for driving involvement in return for pliant, dazzling performance that doesn't require a closed course nor immense fortitude to explore.

The 592-hp R35 GT-R Nismo demolishes the R32 in every measurable and perceived metric. It's so quick, fast, big and capable that you'll break every law of the road and challenge several laws of physics before the end of third gear. As with the modern movie Godzilla, the R35 Nismo has outgrown our surface streets. Forget about a casual frolic, because you won't have real fun in the R35 Nismo until you're afraid of it. By the time you get the R35 to roar, you've astral-projected.

I really liked both GT-Rs, but I'll take too much fun over too much thunder. If I'm adopting a Godzilla at the stray monster shelter, give me the little guy. He breathes the perfect kind of four-wheeled fire.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I wish they made that comparison picture to scale. Or had the cars side by side. The R35 is a portly car. It has great power and does things physics says it shouldn't be able to do with it's weight. As the article says. But as newer cars tend to get bigger and heavier, there is something to appreciate about the earlier car size, weight, and analog feel. Especially with manual versus DCT. DCT are amazing these days. I'm sure 99% of people would be quicker at the drag strip (that launch control! Swing!) or road course with the DCT. But it lacks that driver involvement for sure. There is just something about that three pedal dance.

When I was shopping for the 911Turbo I drove three generations. With each new generation, they got bigger, heavier, and more powerful. Each one had many reasons for why they are great cars. But I felt the same way about them as the author felt about these two GTR. I think having a useable and enjoyable experience behind the wheel, in a hobby car, is a big deal.

Someone made a comment in William's thread that several people on this site have made a move from a big power, limited use, car to something will less power and capable of more driver enjoyment. I'm definitely one of those people. I am sure some of the others can understand the logic of authors reasoning in that article.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Exactly. Like that GT-R comparison, Mook posted about. These new cars are so portly to accommodate safety regulations, all the tech in them, and so on. Something small and mid-engine would be pretty awesome.

I find myself looking at the Caymen GT4. I think that would be a fun car. Once the prices come down I could see that being a good option. But if Honda had a similar offering for less, I'd have to check it out. lol

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
It’s because fat Americans.....

I can relate. lol

Oddly enough, the base seats in the 997 are actually less comfortable than the optional sport seats. Because the narrow back of the base seat sits right between your shoulder blades. Whereas the wide sport seats go across your should blades. SO even just the right options and/or equipment can help. And weight loss too, I guess. :rofl:

For a daily driver, I can see why the bigger cars are more suited to that. Or as a Grand Touring style car. But as a part-timesports car, I can give up space as long as I'm not cramped that bad.

Z28Camaro

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2015
Metamora
Reasonably well written article for the nostalgia comparison but seems like a long way of the author saying it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. I'd pick the R35 out of the two every day of the week - it's a very practical car and makes an incredibly good daily driver.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info