Cheap small-Med sized SUV's?

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
So the GF's 98 Civic has been scrapped and we need a replacement. She wants to get a Small-Med sized SUV or crossover type thing around $5000 or less. Just a basic appliance. Obviously it will have 100K or more on it. Any particular cars out there that are good to look at or any particular cars in this category to stay away from? We start looking online tonight and will hit up a few local stealerships on sat. I don't know shit about anything outside of classic cars, 4th gen F-bodies, and the latest model Mustangs.. lol.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
We just got rid of my wife's Mariner (same as the escape) 3.0 V6 fwd. Had 165k on it and no real huge issues while we owned it. Was a really good little SUV. Would recommend.

I'm a fan of the first generation escapes and Mariners, seeing TONS as hybrid cabs in the city and that speaks volumes.

They do however have a tendency to rust rather surprisingly quickly given their age, and the V6 ones with AWD do have a bit of a hunger for transmissions.

A face lifted first gen (like 08 or so?) with 4cyl and FWD would be something I'd daily.

wolfe

in black sheep's clothing
Jun 2, 2008
Si Oh Em Pee Tee Oh En
I'm a fan of the first generation escapes and Mariners, seeing TONS as hybrid cabs in the city and that speaks volumes.

They do however have a tendency to rust rather surprisingly quickly given their age, and the V6 ones with AWD do have a bit of a hunger for transmissions.

A face lifted first gen (like 08 or so?) with 4cyl and FWD would be something I'd daily.

Yeah hers was rusting in the rear wheel well. I see many doing it there. Now that I live further south I see pretty clean ones all over. I've been told the 4cyl are pretty ballless the 3.0 V6 isn't bad. It's no sports car, but it will keep up with traffic just fine. Mine was fwd and never had an issue with the trans. Purposely did fwd as we didn't see the need for awd. The fwd one handles fine in most snow and if it was 8" or so my wife wasn't going out anyway. Wanted to stay fwd for mpg.

1st gen CRV's with the 2.0 DOHC non Vtec burn valves at high miles cause no one adjusts them as they should.
1st gen Ford Escape had crap transmissions.
1st gen Rav4 were literally bullet proof with the exception of rust.
Other than these issues they're all solid vehicles when they're taken care of. Of all of them I like how the Escape drives the most but only with the V6.
$5k can get you either a solid well maintained lower miles older vehicle or a higher miles less well maintained newer vehicle. I can't recommend Carmax enough, not the best prices but they've got generally good cars and do stand behind their warranties and gaurantees. Any used car you're shopping for needs a 20 minute town and highway test drive and to be taken to a trusted mechanic to be racked and inspected. Wheels pulled, brakes checked visually, suspension loaded and checked for play, check all switches for correct operation, etc. I can scan the checklist we use at the shop for inspections if anyone wants a copy as a PDF when they're car shopping.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
We picked up a car today! After looking online and choosing a few cars CRV's, Rav4's, and such around the $10K mark we picked up an 07 Rav4 with 120K miles Auto basic cloth seats 2.4l 4 cyl. I crawled underneath with a flashlight and nothing was leaking, no paint overspray anywhere or any kind of body work. Carfax came back clean 1 owner. It had full service records from the local Toyota as well. It has a bunch of small minor scratches, chips in the paint, and the rims have some corrosion on them which the sales guy said was keeping people from buying it but she doesn't give a fuck about the body anyway... lol. They had it for a few months and the Window sticker said $10,899.. they had it marked down to $9,899. We got it for $9,100. We are still going to take it to a trusted mechanic to check it out Monday. We've already taken it for a spin on the highway and its good. It won't ever win any drag races but it will do as a basic appliance.

Thanks guys for the advice!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info