2004 Saab 9-5 oil leak

Nay_Sayer

Regular
TCG Premium
Jan 18, 2017
I have a 2004 Saab 9-5 with 245k on the clock. Started really producing a pronounced burning oil smell within the last few oil change cycles. It was also almost a quart low after the last cycle [about 4k miles]. I'm fairly sure it's not the turbo. I've been told the oil pan and valve cover gaskets need to be replaced. Can anyone offer any thoughts on or experiences with these GM Saabs exhibiting these problems? Especially high mileage ones.

Thanks

Valve cover gasket is a very simple job, less than an hour, the oil pan gasket isn't bad either and gives you a chance to check for any oil sludge build up. The other common oil leak spots on them is the oil pressure sensor on the back of the block, the o-ring dries up and starts to leak and eventually becomes a major leak. Also check your transmission lines, they are banjo bolts and like to come loose over time causing a leak that smells just like a regular oil leak and can look like it too if the fluid is older and a bit brown, just tighten them up at the trans the radiator but be careful not to break the line internally on the radiator or you end up with coolant in the transmission.

Oh yeah, you didn't happen to loose the crush washer on the drain plug?

no, the 9-5 uses the Saab Ecopower 2.3l, the 9-3 received a version of the ecotec 2.0

Yours would be the B235R 2.3l running a Mitsubishi TD04 turbo charger.

Check for the crush washer on your next oil change. no reason the waste the oil to check it now honestly. might need to get underneath and try to see where its coming from, if you lower radiator support is oil coated, its likely the trans lines, if the rear of the motor is wet its likely the oil sensor, if its generally oily I'd think it would be the valve cover.

Side note, being an 04 it should have the final revision for the PVC system from the factory but you may want to check (some early 04 didn't get it) also make sure its getting Mobile 1 or an equivalent synthetic 0W40 at oil changes, you don't want to end up with a sludge issue.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info