So I'm looking for a car...

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
...to rent. I want to buy a car, stick it up on Turo and see if I can make it cash flow positive. I almost kept my other Tesla to do this with but I had $10,000 in equity trapped in the car that I wanted to free up so I sold it.

The car needs to be something that people realistically want to rent and that rents for a decent amount of money. For instance, people want to rent Teslas but now there are so many of them out there that they only rent for $100 a day and of that you only get $75. So if it's rented 15 days a month you're netting $1125. If you're doing a 100% loan and paying $45,000ish for the car that's going to be a monthly payment of about $700 + insurance. The car would likely pay for itself but you wouldn't be cash flow positive on it.

So I'm looking to either start small (Porsche Cayman) or just jump off the deep end and and grab a BMW i8, 2015+ M3, Panamera, 911 Carrera or R8.

The beauty of this is most people just want to be seen in something flashy in LA. So a V6 Panamera doesn't fetch much less than a turbo and the V8 R8 doesn't really rent for less than the V10. Plus Turo only insures up to $75,000. So I don't really want to grab anything worth more than that. That might eliminate the i8 off the bat.

Initial thoughts are for the Panamera, a 2011 V6. I can grab one for $35,000, it would be suitable for people that have more than two people (unlike the other cars), is "flashy" and relatively cheap to own. They rent for anywhere from $150 - $200 a day. I'd put it up there for $150, assume an average rental rate of 10 days a month for $1125 a month net. Subtract a payment of $632 for the car an insurance. Potential profit on really conservative numbers: $493 a month + the benefit of having access to the car myself.

The other plus to a car like the Panamera is it would potentially be easier to sell if things don't work out versus an R8 which I'd love to have and drive but have no interest in owning. Additionally, I have to assume cost of ownership on the R8 is way higher than a base Panamera. So the more I think about the R8 the more I think that's a bad idea. :rofl:

A friend of mine's brother lives out here and has a new Porsche 911 and a 6 series BMW, both of which pay for themselves by being rented out on Turo.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
It almost seems like you want a car that looks more expensive than it is and has huge brand awareness.

What about a Maserati Ghibli? They are fairly affordable and have the Maserati mystique. Probably don't want to own one outside of warranty though.

Do you see many 6 series Gran Coupes out there? Gorgeous car for sure. Although I don't think it's a car many people would actively look to rent but would think it's cool if they see one.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
For suv I would think gl450 or 550 , for a car rental I would think a 7 series bmw or a cadillac xts 2014-15 Really depends on the type of renter you're looking for.

I think you're spot on with the SUV choices but for something that I'd be driving myself, I have no desire to get an SUV...

58506752.jpg

It almost seems like you want a car that looks more expensive than it is and has huge brand awareness.

What about a Maserati Ghibli? They are fairly affordable and have the Maserati mystique. Probably don't want to own one outside of warranty though.

Do you see many 6 series Gran Coupes out there? Gorgeous car for sure. Although I don't think it's a car many people would actively look to rent but would think it's cool if they see one.

You are an extension of my car thoughts. Yes on all counts. The cheapest car with the most look at me would theoretically be the winner. That's why the math on the Cayman and the Panamera works so well. I like the idea of the Panamera because I won't be limited to two person rentals. So someone with a small family could rent the Panamera no problem. It opens up possibilities.

The Ghibli is a thought but a lot of people are renting them now for $100 a day. I'm probably not interested in taking one on for that kind of rental rate. Same with the 6 series Gran Coupe. I LOVE that car personally but used they are marginally more expensive ($5000ish) than the Panamera and I don't think they have the same draw as the Porsche from a rental aspect.

I think you answered your own question with the Panamera. Seems like, of the ones you listed, the more attractive one to rent value wise and because 4 door so appeals to more people because of the room.

Panamera seems like a solid choice, or maybe a larger convertible BMW or something (i.e. not a tiny 2 seater)?

Pan. Line you said, or a 4 door 6 series.

And yeah, Panamera sounds like a legit option too.

Ok, so it sounds like I'm going to start researching Panameras... I can't believe how cheap these have gotten. This is a really nice low mileage example I could probably talk down to 37k.

Cars for Sale: Used 2011 Porsche Panamera in , Encino CA: 91436 Details - Sedan - Autotrader

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
jaguar xf series? very pretty, says jaguar, cheap as hell.

I had not considered that but after taking a look, the upside isn't really there for me. First off, they are unbelievably cheap. The 2010's with the 5 liter 400hp V8 are selling for $14,000? Why aren't we all driving those? :rofl: That's such a bargain.

But the rental rate for the car is only $70ish a day. If I'm going to go through the hassle of having another vehicle I'd like there to be a little more upside. My friend has a Chevy Cruze and he rents it out for the entire month for $650. To me that's not worth the hassle. I'd rather take on something higher end.

But for real, at $14,000ish why aren't we all sporting used XF's? This should be thechicagoxfgarage.com

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't think there's a huge rental market for a Panamera. If I'm going to rent something that I don't want to buy/lease, or want to impress for a night; that's not the car I feel like attracts a lot of people.

But what do I know. I guess there's probably a good market for people wanting to rent something ritzy to go to the mountains.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
one way to find out if it works: DO IT

If you can get out of it easy, not risking the loss of much money relative to
the cost of the car if sold, and have the means to pay for the car even if you don't rent it a single day, why not try it. for science.

sounds like plenty acceptable risk vs. the time you need to invest and potential upside.

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL
I had not considered that but after taking a look, the upside isn't really there for me. First off, they are unbelievably cheap. The 2010's with the 5 liter 400hp V8 are selling for $14,000? Why aren't we all driving those? :rofl: That's such a bargain.

But the rental rate for the car is only $70ish a day. If I'm going to go through the hassle of having another vehicle I'd like there to be a little more upside. My friend has a Chevy Cruze and he rents it out for the entire month for $650. To me that's not worth the hassle. I'd rather take on something higher end.

But for real, at $14,000ish why aren't we all sporting used XF's? This should be thechicagoxfgarage.com

the 470 hp xf supercharged (pulley swap and a tune gets you 560) can be had in the 20's. fun car, very nice.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008

Nice car but the cost of ownership I fear would be too high. Plus it's a car I have no desire to own myself. Which is odd because 3 or 4 years ago I was swinging off of those hard.

Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't think there's a huge rental market for a Panamera. If I'm going to rent something that I don't want to buy/lease, or want to impress for a night; that's not the car I feel like attracts a lot of people.

But what do I know. I guess there's probably a good market for people wanting to rent something ritzy to go to the mountains.

Mostly people coming in from out of town that want to experience LA the LA way I guess. Or just people trying to impress for a night, a business outing, etc.

one way to find out if it works: DO IT

If you can get out of it easy, not risking the loss of much money relative to
the cost of the car if sold, and have the means to pay for the car even if you don't rent it a single day, why not try it. for science.

sounds like plenty acceptable risk vs. the time you need to invest and potential upside.

So I know it would work in terms of paying for itself. Before I sold the Tesla I listed it and got no bites but then dropped it to $100 a day and got three reservations in 2 days totaling $600 or $700. My monthly payment on that was $684 so in just those two reservations it was paid for.

The what-ifs are whether or not the other car stuff is going to eat me up. Stuff like brakes, maintenance, repairs, etc. All I really care about initially is that it pays for itself. I can afford another car if it doesn't rent but I don't want to pay for another car. If it can pay for itself and I can have access to it when it's not rented that's not ideal but it's totally acceptable. Then I also have a car to give to friends when they're in town or let my neighbors play with.

[MENTION=396]Mike K[/MENTION] - Ehh, Panamera's don't really make my head turn. Why not a CTS-V?

The same reason Cadillac can't sell any cars is the same reason I wouldn't consider buying one to rent. People don't view Cadillacs as flashy or something you want to be seen in. As car guys we can appreciate the CTS-V for what it is but beyond our bubble, nobody sees a Cadillac in someone's driveway and is like "Wow Madge, George must have gotten a promotion at the plant!". Obviously it's 1962 in my example... :rofl:

People that aren't "car people" think the Porsche would be awesome because it is a Porsche. The interior in those are pretty sweet as well. Mercedes all look the same, the Porsche is something different.

Yes on all of this. Yeah the Porsche is different and it says Porsche. Porsche is also a brand that people will gravitate to because they're looking for a 911 or Cayman and then they'll see a Macan or a Panamera and their practical side will kick in. Oh great. I can get a Porsche but it will still be practical. My wife will like it and we can get luggage in it. Versus if you go and look at the Mercedes offerings, it's all C classes and e classes. I'd get lost in a sea of bland Benzes.

At least this is what I think. I could be totally wrong.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info