recovery straps advice for a newb?

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
so I'm obviously new to the whole 4x4 thing, and want to get a recovery strap to keep in my car so if anyone I know gets stuck or if I get stuck, I'm ready to go.

So far, I've come up with the fact that I have tow hooks out front but none at the rear. I figure a good solution to this could be a 2" hitch type deal as otherwise, the hitch is covered and not in use. I could keep it in the rear storage area.

Curt forged tow hook

The next thing. Recovery strap. This one seems decent among the others.

Smittybilt 30K 30'

What else am I missing? Anything? Helpful advice for a newb? Thanks :jg: :s00ls:

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
The flexible soft shackles are nice but I wouldn't use them, anything with a higher failure rate than a clevis is a missle waiting to happen. I used to drive a tow truck and I have an 18,000lbs bed winch on my work truck which I use all the time to get line trucks (20 tons) and smaller vehicles unstuck and its intended use of pulling in 6 tons of cable.

25'-30' straps are ideal for most roadside ditches since they keep the recovery vehicle on pavement.
You'll need a 5' or 6' open nylon sling. Open means it's not sewn together in the middle and makes a big O. These are essential for balancing loads, feeding thru D-ring type tow hooks or a million other uses.
You'll need at least 2 clevis' With an opening of about 5/8"-1". Those will fit just about any recovery strap or sling without bunching them. You can use them to join straps together (pulling knots out of straps sucks), attaching to D-ring tow hooks, chains and I consider a good clevis as or more essential than a good recovery strap.

For pulling with the hitch you need to get the strap under load first. Getting a running start is one of the dumbest things in the history of dumb things and causes hitch missles with pain and suffering. The problem is a lot of hitches aren't made for pulling cars out regardless of whether it's welded or bolted to the frame.

As far as pulling random people out of ditches or snow banks my advice is DON'T FUCKING DO IT!!! People are assholes and will sue the fuck out of you for damage to their vehicle and you're not insured like a tow company is. Yes you're being nice and helping out your fellow man but that person you just pulled out of a ditch will see dollar signs when you scratch their car or heaven forbid tear their bumper off because you were trying to help them and save them the money for a tow truck.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info